Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

So glad to see it functioning. This is quite the adventure you’ve had!
I really haven’t had a grasp on how large the :glowforge: is until I saw it on your table, I’ve been thinking it was over kill and I ought to build one to fit.

2 Likes

I usually get treated pretty well by the UPS guys as my neighbor is the manager of the local operation and they all know where he lives.

4 Likes

This. me. too

1 Like

We know our UPS guy so well (as he came most days for 3 years) that he often signs for me and leaves stuff in our porch. He might not do that with such a big heavy item though.

It will be a nightmare getting it down our road as it is unmaintained and full of craters. Wide vans have stopped coming down because there is a danger they will tip so much they hit the parked cars each side.

2 Likes

Then you’re taking a day off work. And that’s not going to stop them from standing it on end.

It’s not like a neighbor or passerby is going to see a 4x2 ft box and decide they’re going to stop & grab it :slightly_smiling_face: If you live in an area that occurs then you’d want to arrange to pick it up at the UPS depot instead.

Once had a small toolbox stolen that was sitting next to my mailbox on the county road. Was working on a mower and forgot it when I left for the winter. (this was before I built the house) The neighbor said it sat there for 3 months, much of the time in the snow. Disappeared about 2 weeks before I came back. Just can’t trust anyone.

9 Likes

finally got a chance to see the pictures. i don’t think the damage was all that severe, to be honest; certainly not to the level of rolling around the truck, as someone put it. it does show how much it pays to test your shipping, though, as it’s nice to see it working regardless. i’m guessing that tear in the side came from the edge of a box getting slammed into it.

1 Like

Stealing packages is becoming more prevalent, and the thiefs are becoming more brazen, and more sophisticated. My buddy, who does live in a good neighborhood, had a package stolen just yesterday. Neighbor saw it happening, and the thief had even taped out their license place so they couldn’t get it. That tells me they knew what they were going to do, and might have even been following thee delivery truck just waiting for the right time/place.

Not that a GF is going to be an easy grab and go, but I wouldn’t be willing to take that chance.

2 Likes

I’m actually quite surprised by this. The value of the :glowforge: is high enough that they should not ever be able to deliver it without a delivery signature, unless :glowforge: isn’t declaring that value at shipping time.

They might want to investigate that some as delivering such packages without the delivery signature is a disciplinary offense requiring action up to, and including, termination.

They might have deliberately not declared the value on the PRUs in order to see if they could handle being mishandled too…everything with the PRUs is likely a stress test for the real deal.

(Don’t know for sure, but it’s what I’d do…)

Possibly, though the driver doesn’t typically see that value, if I recall correctly. They would see ‘AUTOPOD’ for ‘Automatic Proof Of Delivery’. That would tell them the package is above the threshold, though the combined dimensions and weight (and sometimes company name on the box) would pretty much typically cover that, too.

In theory, the declared value of the package isn’t supposed to affect the care of treatment. In rare cases it does.

Apart from international, I believe the only package I saw a specific value on was a SAM Radar system valued at $80,000. The only reason I saw that value was that they didn’t just declare that value, they put extra insurance on the package.

1 Like

If the value is not declared, UPS only covers up to $100. Since GF says the packages are insured. I am quite sure they declared tbe value.

2 Likes

Most of my UPS deliveries get left in the yard in plain sight because the “man” doesn’t want to climb steps to my front door…so good thing tracking is a “thing”.

Around here I have to be careful not to leave anything near the curb as everyone, not at the top of the food chain “curb shops”, this is this area’s equivalent to dumpster diving. You leave you unwanted stuff at the curb supposedly for trash pickup but they rarely stay long enough for that as if someone else sees value in it off to their house it goes.
My wife is an expert at it. Knows the right neighborhoods and time of the month. 1/4 of our furniture she dragged home and I have repaired it and put it back in service. Some quite nice pieces.

7 Likes

That is standard operating procedure around here, too. It’s universally understood if you leave it at the curb, it’s fair game. Some people will ensure their intent by placing a “FREE” sign on items but it’s not required.

3 Likes

No signature required from me either…FedEx…two PRUs delivered and no signature.

3 Likes

I have very mixed emotions about Monday. On one hand, my Glowforge is set to arrive. On the other, I fly out Monday afternoon on business until Friday.

Naturally, that means I told them to hold it at the depot so I can pick it up bright and early at 8:30 AM when they open and play with it until I have to go to the airport. :wink:

9 Likes

I might end up doing this, if I can get UPS to cooperate. The local terminal is 2 miles from my place.

If there is no signature required, they weren’t declaring a value or insuring it for much at all. FedEx doesn’t just hand off multi-thousand-dollar packages without someone signing.

2 Likes

It’s possible that they ensure their shipping separately from the carrier with the sorts of volume they are shipping and the value of each shipment. I bet it would be a lot more cost effective.

2 Likes