Surprisingly paid off the glowforge :)

Implementing some digital backgrounds for the next project using a tablet mounted behind the frame and a modified version of android to loop playback from boot. Can be plugged in or run on battery for about 6 hours. Here is a draft mock up I sent to the customer. Ill post a finished product when I wrap it up!

19 Likes

Your designs are absolutely amazing! I just unboxed my glowforge last night and I truly hope i can learn to make something so wonderful …

If you add a clear spacer frame tho hold the tablet, I think there might be purposeful light leak creating a matching background framing light to the center image, if that makes sense :heart_eyes_cat: Really nice work, layering multiple designs!

Completed this one last week. Looks pretty good in person, had to convert it to a gif file to upload it but the digital background idea has been pretty popular.

17 Likes

Wow!

Wow, And I thought your displays could get any better!

Yeah I think we need to see that one a little closer. :grinning:
(Stunning!)

2 Likes

Do you do your own programming for the tablet/TV as well? The GOT one looks amazing with the digital effects. My GF is supposed to come today and this is definitely a bar I would like to get to. Congrats on the success, your stuff is amazing and I am sure well worth whatever you are charging :slight_smile:

Something very magical about your work - I can understand you are now in high demand!

1 Like

these are fantastic. I love the detail. I was hoping to make kicka$$ art pieces such as these.

Is that just a big LCD screen? How are you implementing the animations?

Yes, these are both lcd monitors i found online for pretty cheap. Ive made a few to size for friends that mount over their existing setups and it comes out pretty neat, especially for the thinner tvs. I design the cutouts in photoshop and sublimate them onto acrylic, then laser cut them out to mount in a frame. I use Adobe after effects for the animations. If its a tv with a usb the video can be looped innternally, or set up to stream from a server. Ive built a few thin ones with replacement laptop screens running off a raspberry pi, those can be programmed to do anything

9 Likes

New addition

12 Likes

Working on some 3d prints to work into the frames. First model came out pretty well (a lot of pirate themed ones considering it’s my unit designation :slight_smile: )

20 Likes

These are AWESOME

2 Likes

that is really kick ass. How thick is that piece of material? looks like it took many passes to get that wonderful precision.

WOOOOOWWWWWW!!! I am so impressed! Yo have a lot going on in that head of yours!!! How do you tame it all!!! I am very impressed by this!!! I always say “I know a little about a lot!”
YOU KNOW ALOT ABOUT ALOT!! I wish I could learn that slicing technique in illustrator! I would have a blast!

1/2 inch thick. Its on a resin printer, so it only took about 1.5 hours, about 6 bucks worth of resin

Wow! Super impressive. I’m waiting on my glowforge to arrive and have hopes to create art like this with layers and techniques in a similar way. I may be asking you some questions in the future if you don’t mind.

1 Like

Holy cow!! As a fellow veteran I really appreciate the subject matter and detail!!

1 Like