SVG with overlapping, same-color filled, unstroked shapes

I know from experience and from Strange overlap in SVG that if an SVG file contains partially overlapping shapes filled with the same color and not stroked, GF will engrave the areas where there is no overlap and where there is an odd number of overlaps, and leave the areas where there is an even number of overlaps untouched.

It could be that I misunderstand the SVG spec, but I think it’s pretty clear that the result should be that all overlapping areas are treated the same way as the parts with no overlaps. It’s as though GF is treating all of the same-filled and -stroked shapes an a single shape and applying an evenodd fill-rule.

Is this how it’s supposed to work? Is it just a matter of being in beta? What am I missing?

I don’t think you are missing anything. GF ignore the fillrule attribute in SVG files. It is a long standing bug.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I read that GF currently ignores fill-rule, but in this case I don’t think the fill-rule even applies since there are several shapes involved. The case in “Strange overlap” and in the one I ran into are just simple “painting” of overlapping shapes.

If it’s a bug, it’s a different one, I’d say.

Not sure. If it is compound path then I would expect the fillrule to apply. Not sure how separate overlapping paths are supposed to be handled in SVG. If it looks correct in a browser then GF is wrong. If removing the fillrule attribute then simulates GF then it would be the same bug.

Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry I was slow to respond.

We’re seeing this too and I’ve passed your feedback on to the rest of the team.