Taiwanese DC-6040-N Laser

I had a couple very old laptops with xp on them. I reformatted one and made sure nothing personal was on it before plugging in that dongle, because it checks in who knows where. I have seen people use it on windows 7 and I’m assuming 8 will work too. I design on a surface pro and send the files to the NAS. If you can pick up or have an old pc the software doesn’t require anything substantial. But it does require windows

1 Like

Yah, I’ll do a clean install on an old mac. I can come up with a copy of XP or 7 easy enough. It will only be used to drive the Laser printer.

1 Like

Is that like Sears horsepower ratings?

7 Likes

@dan Are Laser tubes rated by Wattage consumed, or Watts of output? Just curious.

1 Like

I would like to understand the difference. They all look alike to me…:no_mouth:
Watts, that is.

1 Like

I have a friend of the family who designs and makes very high quality laser tubes in his home shop. He was a master glassblower at MIT for many years. I hope to have him look at the tube after I blow the first one.

2 Likes

Output.

Yes! I would take an angle cut feature. I’ve always wondered if it could be done.

I am certain of it!

Here’s a pretty good video on Mike Wilson doing it, although he’s using a jig. Certainly if the Glowforge software had this already built in, it would make it a lot easier.

5 Likes

They’re rated by optical output power. There’re a physics-derived max efficiency of CO2 lasers around 30% or so, so the tubes themselves consume considerably more electrical power.

7 Likes

I’d love to step into something as a temp machine until my GF comes too. But I hear so many horror stories about all the tweaking & hardware/software replacing that’s needed on the K40. That kind of scares me away from trying one.

My other thought is a Full Spectrum - but I really just wish there was a happy medium between those two.

1 Like

When my 'Forge arrives, I’ll sell off the K40, even if I sell it for $150 I think I’ll get my money’s worth out of it in the next 6 months (or more).

2 Likes

That was what I was thinking too. My fear is more I getting it running. LOL

I just ordered one. We’ll see how it goes!

5 Likes

I like a good Guinea pig

2 Likes

Also of import that other threads have covered is how fine/sharp of a point are those photons being concentrated into.

1 Like

For some time I have been getting advertisements for a “NEJE JZ-6 Micro Super Speed Red Light Laser Engraver Machine” ($65 which includes free worldwide shipping)

In the best of English translations…

“With the fortified complexity of engraving craft, the traditional machine is restrained for engraving develop. So, laser engraving machine is born.
High power and high resolution print, soft material can print out the 3D and the gradient effect”

A whopping 1.5" x 1.5" carving area (great for engraving toothpics)

Youtube videos available. Should you decide to buy this and cancel your Glowforge please let me know so that I can have your spot in line.

8 Likes

Does it have two-step engraving built in? I want to be able to engrave a whole toothpick.

4 Likes

I think the rotary positioner needs work.

5 Likes