Taiwanese DC-6040-N Laser

Same here. There is value in the experience. And it will make the glowforge all that more exciting to use.

If I can get it running, anyone can.

Well now isnā€™t that special.

I appreciate your self-depricating confidence. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool. I remember making one of those and doing some engraving with it back in the day. It could cut paper if you worked really hard at it.

@prez - any update on your impressions?

Well, at least we know where all the CDROM and DVD drive manufacturers went.
Theyā€™re all making carriages for 5mW lasers.

4 Likes

Curiosity got the better of me. I just ordered one of these. Cannot wait to see how it works.

10 Likes

When you figure out what they mean by ā€œLow-light positioning, grey engravingā€, Dan, please let us know. Iā€™m genuinely curious.

2 Likes

Just pulled the trigger on a K40. I expect some tweaking and a large learning curve, but with any luck Iā€™ll be firing focused photons next week! Wish me luck with the shipping!

7 Likes

Mine just arrived a few minutes agoā€¦ the tube is in one piece, and everything seems up to what I was expecting so far. It got here rather quickly from california. I guess its time to start a little blog about this

9 Likes

Please do!!! Iā€™m extremely tempted to order one. Unfortunately, Iā€™m equally as tempted as I am confused about what is needed to get it operational. (board swaps? Software changes? Re-wiring components?)

2 Likes

Eh I hope not. The internals are pretty sparse, everything is fitted to the casing really poorly. Its almost worth it to buy this just for the PSU and tube, tear everything else out, and build a much larger laser with it. I could almost attach it to my x-carve lol

1 Like

I expect to be in town later this month. Iā€™d love to stop by and have a look. I doubt Iā€™ll go this route as Iā€™m looking for a laser engraver to be a revenue source and donā€™t have the time to tinker with it like I would have loved to do 20 years ago.

Yah! You know where I live!

1 Like

Post some pics when you get a chance!

2 Likes

I second that motion

2 Likes

Iā€™ll see if I can put some up tonight

8 Likes

Iā€™m assuming it does not come with a honeycomb crumb tray, air assist nozzle or safety glasses. If it doesnā€™t Iā€™ll order some on Prime so it arrives with my laser on Wed. Thanks!

I started another thread to follow my exploits with the Chinese laser. Iā€™ve posted some pics from the unboxing there and will continue to update as I move along.

4 Likes