Thanksgiving Turkeys

Here’s an AvE BOLTR (bored of lame tool reviews) regarding calipers. After watching this, I went for the Mitutoyo with original certification sheet rather than photocopies of photocopies. Battery is still cranking after a year. Just sticking in the link because he’s not safe for work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvszAb0Y0Ec Very entertaining and informative if you want to know about calipers and never have used them.

Not that I am dissing your purchases, most likely will work well for our purposes, especially since we will be working so much with wood.

6 Likes

i’d be curious to see a comparison: how accurate/repeatable the HF version is compared with your expensive one.

5 Likes

That would be an interesting test!

3 Likes

me too… just ordered a second one!!

2 Likes

It said only 10 left when I ordered…Someone is probably wondering why the sudden rush on calipers…lol

5 Likes

Oh no- guess I better finalize my order quick!

2 Likes

Bookmarked!

2 Likes

They are down to 5 now. I used Discover Card bonus bucks so my net cost was $0. I already have a plastic non digital set but it makes sense to have these for Glowing. (Forging?)

Thanks so much gang!

4 Likes

Just got mine! :grinning:

3 Likes

… and I just grabbed one too. Only two left!

Awesome deal. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

lol…
just in case anyone was unclear about the idea of “peer to peer” marketing.

6 Likes

Chuckle! And I just went and picked up a Mitutoyo.

I have used the $10 ones, and more recently a $40 iGaging that I picked up on special somewhere. Neither one was better than the other…both feel sloppy and imprecise. Both of them will be off by as much as 0.02 mm.

So…decided to give the Japanese model a try. (Really good calipers are a must for 3D printing, for calibrating the gap, and I can use them for this as well.)

So anyway…definitely a run on calipers today…someone is gonna be really tickled. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think that ability is written into my job description. :slight_smile: I do all the R&D for my employer and they don’t grasp the process of R&D at all. They sure don’t like spending even $10 on a piece of hardware for design verification if theres any chance it won’t be usable.

3 Likes

I really need to spring for some quality calipers sometime. Because I thought mine were alright, and saw them on amazon for the same price range as these sale sets.

I hadn’t thought about it beforehand, but the digital calipers I have are far more loose than the non digital ones I used previously. And these digital ones can also be wrong by bad software calibration.

Given that I have to zero them every time I turn them on… there is a chance that many of the errors in accuracy from my laser were less of laser calibratoin and more of measurement reliability.

4 Likes

“Back-ordered. Due in stock October 27 – order now to reserve yours” LOL

I tried the link yesterday (when there were a lot left, but never got the discount showing on my Prime account :cry: so I didn’t purchase… i wonder what triggered the discount for some?

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same way… deeply fortunate that you all have found this place to share and support each other, and that I get to be a part of that.

10 Likes

Did you have the Honey browser app?

No… I assume that’s why no discount? What is that app?

For me, working with kerf was this crazy idea until I actually got in front of a laser cutter and saw what was happening- it all makes so much more sense once you have all the necessary tools! So far the turkey is really the only design I’ve taken far enough to a stage where a laser is required for further adjustments. Everything else has been little notes and sketches/3D models…keeps me excited for the glowforge’s arrival knowing that I’ll have ideas to test! (Plus this sounds like more fun than guessing at kerf sizes and then realizing all my tabs have to be adjusted on a big complex design haha).

4 Likes

You had to put the item in your cart before the discount showed up (“promotion applied”). Did you try that?

2 Likes