Thanksgiving Turkeys

That was what really ticked me off about the more expensive $40 ones that I made the mistake of buying…the stupid things had to be zeroed with every use, and if I forgot, I wound up re-doing my calibration prints.

No joke, the $10 ones were better for staying zeroed than the $40 ones. I was some kinda hot about it too, but just hadn’t gotten around to getting good ones yet. Does seem a little silly to buy the same set for $300 just to get the official Japanese calibration though, so I didn’t pay for the certification. (Hopefully I won’t regret that.)

These things had better feel like a Swedish massage in my hand. Will definitely post here if they turn out to be duds so folks can avoid them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t have the app either. I think just being logged in to Amazon and being a Prime member was all that was needed. Also, as others have stated, the discount didn’t show up until I put it in my cart.

3 Likes

It’s supposed to be a browser app that looks through the available deals on Amazon and gives you the best one including shipping. Then a yellow/orange tag appears that you click to get that deal. It seems the app is unnecessary based on what I just read here.

2 Likes

You have to actually start to check out. I thought the same thing, but got the discount in the end. I ordered maybe half-an-hour ago.

2 Likes

I went back and ordered a second one, too. Thought about it right after I had placed my first order and decided that one of these would make a nice ‘little’ gift for my engineer son-in-law. Even if they are not the best in the world, seems they might be useful to him.

1 Like

I fully understand the concept of what kerf is, I just have not yet tried designing anything in which I need to use the concept. I am envious of you jumping in to do that…but I’m sure it will come to me eventually, too. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Never heard of that app. The discount appeared as I was in the check out part.

You’re already ahead of me then! I was using the laser cutters at school for a year before kerf ever even came up :sweat_smile:

1 Like

YEA!! I went again this morning (since it is the 27th) and they had two left - I bought one and after I checked out and went to pay it showed the discount (I wonder what the discount is for - I don’t have that browser aapp). Makes me wonder how many other items show up with discount when you go to check out…

3 Likes

If that’s true, it’s only because of all the great info. in this forum. I have become so much more educated about stuff I’d never even heard of before…hard to believe…but keeping my brain moving forward, for sure! I appreciate your input, Steph.

2 Likes

Nope. I don’t have it & I got the discount.

1 Like

Hopefully not too far off-subject, since we are talking about different shopping apps, but Paribus is a pretty interesting one that scans your purchases made and then searches for price drops and requests the price differences automatically. Their are security risks involved with such an app; it scans your email and you have to provide card # for the refund request.

Could be very useful with Christmas coming up and those ordering materials for their Glowforges.

You girls are going to get me drunk with all that “compensating for the kerf” talk! Just sayin’.

6 Likes

Drink! :cocktail:

4 Likes

Couldn’t believe it when I got home from work yesterday, the calipers had arrived already. 24hrs from order to delivery.

8 Likes

Mine get here today! with the $14 discount i decided to get 2! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And they even came with an extra battery!

Tested mine with a feeler gauge set, and for the range 0.008" to 0.025", they measured accurately within half a mil.

9 Likes

And the build quality seems really good. Very happy for $6!

5 Likes

Got my calipers today, too. Very pleased with them. Nice that it came with an extra battery, however, mine were DOA, so already put in the spare. I’m glad it was there, though…that would have been disappointing to not even be able to try them out.

3 Likes

That’s what I tell my students (but usually it’s $20). Yeah, there are $200 or $300 ones out there but we’re making tissue boxes and tea light holders not Mars landers. I appreciate a good high quality tool but I also don’t think it’s necessary to spend the bucks for far more precision than is necessary for the job at hand. Especially for newbies - there’s no reason to scare them off by having them spend a ton of money starting out.

8 Likes