The Battle Rages On

These are so cool!! what did you use to design them?

1 Like

Very old version of Illustrator. (I like to do things the hard way.) :smile:

1 Like

Eggs come out of the chicken with a membrane on them that, in the US, we promptly wash off. That’s why they have to be refrigerated here but many other countries leave them out at room temperature.

1 Like

Fun fact. Soda doesn’t explode out of a can if you give it even 15 seconds after shaking it up. I used to use this all the time as a kid to pretend I had miracle soda calming powers. Shake the bejesus out of it and then give a short speech about how you can will the bubbles into submission, and when you open it, everyone expects a fizzy disaster but nothing will happen. I think I got this one from Penn and Teller.

8 Likes

Heck, guess I need to design one for soda cans then. :smile:

3 Likes

Those are a great idea @Jules. I may have to show this to the wife too see if she likes it. She loves to “consolidate” things in the kitchen (even though I’m the cook) so she may love the idea of having our cans like this.

2 Likes

Food storage and rotation is always a big job. Growing up we had 12" deep … Nothing could get lost. 24" deep … Another ballgame.

4 Likes

I need shelves to prevent landslides as any digging stuff out of the freezer and returning the rest eventually becomes. Drawers will just divide the little empty space into less usefulness. The bigger chest freezer is already portioned out with those plastic milk cases. (perhaps 60 years since I have seen them used to deliver milk :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Here are the SVGs for the Sock Drawer organizer / divider pictured in my post above. You will obviously need to adjust these to fit whatever drawer size(s) you are using, but at least it’s a good start.

Hope it helps some folks here.

sock drawer parts.zip (12.9 KB)

I’ve also included a few other SVGs that may be of use for other drawers in your dresser / chest of drawers / etc.

T-Shirt Drawer Divider 1.zip (3.3 KB)
Large Drawer Divider 5.zip (4.3 KB)

11 Likes

Ours used to like doing this too. One day he got his head caught in the handle of a bag and started trying to run away from it. It was like a parachute collar. The harder he tried, the harder it tugged. He made about five trips around the room and ended up cowering behind the water heater. Once I got the bag off his head, he wasn never interested in groceries again. :wink:

5 Likes

Yep! We had an incident like that once. It was a learning experience. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Think about a Coca Cola vending machine (I can show you an interior photo if you want; have one) … it drops the cans with a good sized “thump”

1 Like

Been wanting to do this since I got my GF and never got around to it. Do you have a triangular wedge sitting on the bottom in the very back so the can doesn’t get stuck there? I have that problem with the battery dispenser I have. I want to make this soooooooooooo bad…our pantry (think coat closet but barely deep enough) is nothing but wire shelves and it drives me nuts…actually have the cans out on a couple of rolling carts and I HATE it.

Yeah, there’re a couple of ramps inside made out of that heavy chipboard, because it bends the right way and is heavy enough to support the weight of the cans.

(And before everyone gets up in arms about the use of chipboard instead of draftboard with a living hinge…these things already cost a lot to make in terms of material. It’s cheaper to use the chipboard where possible, and it works just fine. ) :wink:

1 Like

Comparison time … I have CS3, whatcha got Jules? Did you use one of the box makers websites…curious if one works better than the other…this is a project desperately needing to get done at my house.

I know I like to consolidate…and my new husband likes to cook (which I love!)…My IKEA Raskog carts have cans in them and I organized them with labels clipped to the cart so people know what is on them.

I think that one was done in Illustrator CS5, and I just worked out the design for it…by pulling every can out of the pantry and taking measurements. (Don’t recommend doing it that way…use a box generator. It’s quicker.) :smile:

1 Like

Are you using the medium or thick draftboard for the outside? I think the majority of my draftboard is medium but if it won’t hold up to the weight, I’ll order some thick draftboard immediately. I’m hoping to make this my project next weekend if I can get it designed.

No, the medium is fine. I had built the first ones out of chipboard (really heavy cardboard) and they were just fine…until I sat one down in a small puddle on the countertop.

Not good. But the medium Draftboard should be fine.

2 Likes

Love these! I’ve made ones out of wood before but was wanting to try making more with our Glowforge (once it gets here). However, do you sell the files for these? I might give yours a try first.