The Battle Rages On

No, I don’t have them ready for sale. (Couple of folks have asked about it - I might offer them through the Glowforge Catalog one day if they ever open it up to amateurs though so keep an eye out there.)

1 Like

Okay, thank you!! It would be awesome if you did!:crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Quick question… What do you use to glue up something like this? I’ve made a shelf for a set of pool balls. I CANNOT keep the bottom shelf on. I imagine the weight is similar to the stress your lower-front panel gets.

Thanks!

1 Like

I sanded the surface, used wood glue and clamped it into place until it dried. The wood will break before the glue bond will, but most folks skimp on the sanding step, which is important to give it tooth. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I might have adjusted the kerf on the tabs and slots to make it a force fit there. (Can’t remember though, it was a while back.)

Just try the sanding and clamping to start with.

Yeah, I didn’t sand. I’ll have to now anyway to get the old glue off.

Thinking about getting some tiny brass corners to help hold it.

The real solution is to redesign it with longer sides and back so there’s an actual slot for the bottom shelf, but I cut it out of walnut PG and I’d hate to ditch the existing one. :frowning:

prefinish is not glue friendly, which is one of a number of reasons i don’t use a lot of PG. for some things, it’s fine.

That’s a good point. I noticed the smooth feel. Not sure why it didn’t click that I should rough that up. Thanks!

I am not sure I have ever had seal meat. Does it taste good if you vacuum it?

2 Likes

I would also love this file, if you ever decide to sell it! Really need to get my cans in order, but I come at Glowforge from a more 2d perspective as a graphic designer – 3d boxes with tabs can be a struggle!

1 Like

There are quite a few box generator programs that can get you started pretty quickly… :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.makercase.com/#/

https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/index.html

http://boxdesigner.frag-den-spatz.de/

7 Likes

I really like these and have been looking for a way to make a set.

Did you create the file or purchase it? Would you be willing to make the file available or share where you found it?

She made the file. (BTW, it’s not kosher to ask for files here. )

1 Like

Thanks Martha, I was out of pocket for a second there…

Yes, it’s a customized file to fit my strange depth cabinets, and I haven’t yet had a chance to rework it for sale or distribution, so it’s not yet available. (Things keep getting in the way.) But it’s on the list of things to tackle one day when time permits. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Martha! I appreciate the heads up! BTW: That is why I asked if she could make it available (not asking for free stuff) as I would be willing to purchase it if were available.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt response! I totally understand about things getting in the way. It’s a great design and kudos on your design ability. When you do get the opportunity to make it available, I’m definitely interested!

Well, stick around. If we wind up stuck at home for much longer, I might just start reworking them and releasing them temporarily as freebies in the Free Laser Designs section to give other folks stuck at home something to do from home. (Might be a time filler.) :wink:

7 Likes

Can this file be purchased I would like to have it

Yep. Looks like they are in the catalog:

4 Likes

@coreyclifton.cc I have made 8 of these so far! They work great!! I wish there was one for TUNA cans! (hint hint to the designer)

6 Likes

I even think I can see where the tuna cans would fit too. @Jules made those. :blush:

4 Likes