The centering problem has finally hit me

OK, the past couple of days I have been having the centering problems. I have cleaned the camera, all of the lenses, checked the clips, rebooted everything, took the crumbtray out. For two days, I was able to get the glowforge past the issue by unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in after each print. Today, unplugging doesn’t help anymore.

Well, if it’s a potentially bad cable, you just need to make sure you’ve run through all the tests listed at the link below, then wait to hear from support.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I have gone through all of those steps except cleaning the logo. I have done that now too with no results. I guess I am waiting for support to contact me. That was a great write up of things to try.

1 Like

Mine had that twice in less then a year. I got a cable replaced and it’s been good to go. Now I’m having material thickness problems. Good luck.

Thanks. Other than a dumb issue when I walked away for a minute and had a little fire, this is the first problem I have had with the machine.

So sorry to hear your machine is stuck in the calibration phase, @preventfyr. @Jules, thank you as always for your phenomenally helpful guide.

@preventfyr, as you’re aware, the issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.

2. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a close-up photo of the clip and cable and either post it here or send it to me via email (support@glowforge.com) so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

3. Close the lid.

4. Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

Let me know how it goes!

2 Likes

Hi, I have checked all five of the clips. They all look good to me. I went through Jules’ entire list. The only thing I hadn’t done was clean the Glowforge logo, but I did that and still have no results.

Thank you for checking that out for us. Since everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem. I’d like to send you a replacement for that cable, along with some instructions on how to replace it so we can get you back to printing as quickly as possible.

I am going to close this thread now and follow up with you via email with the next steps.

1 Like