The chicken or the egg sign

So after reading @jules The Joy of Design I had to post the design my wife wanted for work. One of her veterinary colleagues raises chickens and gave us eggs the other day. My wife asked how fresh they were, and her colleague answered “straight from the chicken’s ass to your mouth!”. Her colleague said “hey, that should be our slogan for the farm!”. so my wife comes home and says “hey, can you make that sign for my colleague?” so figured an engraved :proofgrade: maple plywood sign would look nice on the coop. And before someone comments that “that’s not how it works”. Yes (they are veterinarians after all), but cloaca doesn’t roll off the tongue…

I made an artistically questionable choice of deciding to have a score around the egg basket on the sign. Not idea why the outline function in AI decided to add those weird geometric shapes (which of course I didn’t notice until the end - ugh). Anyway, her colleague loved the sign and was so excited to mount it on the coop.

The eggs were delicious in an omelette I made from them!

45 Likes

7 Likes

Love it! For years I’ve asserted that the bravest person in history was the first to eat an egg.

3 Likes

Ha! Very nice! I’d be interested to know where the geometric shapes came from so it can be prevented in future projects.

4 Likes

Cloaca - I mean really, when’s the last time you used the world cloaca. What? No engrave of the egg being shot into a persons mouth from the…cloaca.

3 Likes

I’ve actually used it not that long ago, when I was explaining to a patient who was unable to get pregnant what was the origin of her bifed uterus was (since we basically all start out as chickens in utero…)

9 Likes

Probably a month or two ago when discussing the sewer system in Ancient Rome with someone. Yes, “cloaca” means sewer in Latin. Initially constructed around 600 BC, the Cloaca Maxima was one of Rome’s early great engineering projects. Part of it are still in use (as a storm drain system) today.

11 Likes

That is wonderful! :rofl:

When i was in Ephesus the wife and I were excitedly following the sewage system through the town. It is safe to say most other tourist thought us nuts.

Cloaca or sewage systems were one of the great advances made by the Romans.
They even had a goddess of sewers Cloacina

10 Likes

Funny. I too was having a discussion about Roman sewers and the the Cloaca Maxima too last week. We were doing some drainage work around the church and I can’t help but see six inch PVC and think, “cloaca minima”.

8 Likes