"The Cortez" - My First Project for the "Binge" Art Show (Dec 2018)

Absolutely beautiful

2 Likes

This is fantastic! I love the details.

I could think of a few movies that have scenes that would lend itself well to this type of treatment.

The first that comes to mind is the bar in the movie “Passengers”.

It’s not as grandiose as yours, but the details in the back would be great.

11 Likes

AMAZEBALLZ! Great work!

1 Like

This is incredible. what software did you use to design this? did you stick to proofgrade materials or use custom wood? The details are stunning.

1 Like

I used Inkscape for all the design work and did use proofgrade hardwood materials for a majority of the viewable parts of the piece. The non-proofgrade materials used were for the underlying support layers that are not visible (cut from 1/8" MDF), the 2 white columns on the side of the central figure (cut from 1/8" pearl acrylic), and the trashcans and table (1/16" Walnut). Proofgrade Basswood hardwood was used for the central Cortez cutout, the floor, and the rails of the staircase. Proofgrade Maple hardwood was used for the background carvings and the lamps. Proofgrade Walnut hardwood was used for the staircase and banisters. Proofgrade Cherry hardwood was used for the furniture. Proofgrade Red Oak hardwood was used for the elevator doors. Proofgrade Black Acrylic is behind Cortez and used for side columns as well. I believe most of the proofgrade materials were part of my original welcome pack … I didn’t know at the time what I really liked to work with or the depths of the material that was best.

The floor that was redone uses a thin veneer of white and black set in 1/8" padauk.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m just learning how to use all of this, this is really helpful

1 Like

This is brilliant. Can I ask how you accounted for Kerf? Or did you ignore it and make the tiny gaps act as the linework? Awesome work.

1 Like

I did account for kerf. In the end, I tend to add 0.003" to all my cut lines (as a two sided kerf and to make sure I don’t burn off any detail). In the case of the floor, or any other piece where the inlay is really narrow or small, I don’t add a kerf to the base (engraved) piece and add a 0.006" kerf to the inlay piece (to makes sure i get a little more detail in the inlay). Materials do tend to very (acrylic one sided kerf is closer 0.005") so I usually have a tiny test file using a star design with 0.003" kerf, one with 0.004" … one with 0.006" then a star engrave in my base piece and just see which one fits best for the materials i’m using. This will waste about 1-2 inches of my wood but better safe than sorry in the end! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The Proofgrade materials are excellent and do save time and trial and error but I have also ordered excellent material from other resources for about half the price (if you stick to 6" widths similar to some proofgrade standard sizes … https://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll-saw-lumber/). I went crazy the first time and ordered all kinds of thicknesses and sizes only to find that 1/8" and 1/16" is all I’ll ever need.

3 Likes

This is AMAZING.

4 Likes

Epic work!

2 Likes

So much dimension … so much to fall in love with! Really enjoyed your post!

2 Likes

I no joke had my jaw drop after looking at this. Like literally. This is the first time I have ever been so wowed.

2 Likes

it is really a cool tool. I used it for my LED edge lit “sign” for one of my nephews that is all about star wars. so his name looked like the floating text at the beginning :slight_smile:

1 Like

This takes my breath away. Extraordinarily beautiful!

2 Likes

This is absolutely amazing!

3 Likes

There is always 3D relief carving you could add to great effect with the thicker materials.

3 Likes

I just had to mention, I never noticed Cortez above the door until I saw this. :slight_smile: Absolutely amazing piece.

1 Like

Same here … it wasn’t until I started trying to layout the details of the design that I noticed he had been there all along … unappreciated. I spent hours trying to understand where exactly he was positioned in the hotel. There is one scene where Lady Gaga is in the elevator and you can see the lobby through the open areas of Cortez. That was when I realized the elevator was a glass encasement behind Cortez himself. At least I hope I envisioned that properly. :grin:

3 Likes

Process Video of the assembly …

13 Likes