The Curveball Cube

IMG_2610

In honor of my happy Cake Day :cake:, I’m sharing this design. Months ago @bbum experimented with Mathematica to export SVGs of mandalas and I sorted through thousands of them to pick just one. Thanks, @bbum! Cleaned it up and deleted the outer parts to come up with a really nice result.

For personal use only as per forum rules!

curveball cube.svg.zip (38.8 KB)

Tips:

• I used :proofgrade: medium basswood ply.
  • The mandala on the sides can either be set to cut or engrave; both give a nice result.
  • The cube only goes together if you stick to the diagram.
  • I line the bottom of the box with a little piece of felt.
  • The lid has an engrave on the top and on the inside. Run the print job first with the Curveball text step ignored; then, open the lid, carefully pry loose the lid without moving the sheet, and turn over and lay it back down. Set all steps to ignore, except for the Curveball text step and run.

If you’re interested in the mandala patterns, you can find loads in this post!

53 Likes

Very cute! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Great idea! :grinning:

2 Likes

That is fantastic! So happy to see that explore being put to good use!!!

4 Likes

That is really nice. Great idea…

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this file. The sentiment is awesome.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks! I amuse myself sometimes - especially when I’m in cube mode - :ice_cube:

2 Likes

Cute idea. This would make a good addition to a graduation gift!

4 Likes

I like it! Very nice

2 Likes

That looks great. When I do 2-sided pieces I just open the lid and tape them down to the board then flip the whole thing over. I like your way better. LOL

2 Likes

Yep. I just use 2 different colors for the engraves on each side. The Gfui separates it out as 2 steps and you’re in business! :grinning:

Hey, great project! Thanks for doing the research and for the design.

2 Likes

Well done! I’m thinking children would enjoy using this as well!

Thank you for sharing your work!

1 Like

You can always amend the text too if need be. Pick a font that is very narrow - I used Birch.

1 Like

My five-year-old grandson would get a kick out of seeing what came up. Something happens … check the cube. He’d crack up.

1 Like

how big is the final product? Can it be resized to be bigger if need be?

2 Likes

Box itself is about 2"x2". Simple answer is no, you cannot resize it. If you know how to, you can, but basically you would have to redesign the whole thing from scratch taking into account different material thickness, etc.

Great idea. Reminds me of an 8-ball, but more positive

2 Likes