Generated Mandalas; from basic points on circle to random complex asymmetric patterns

Prompted by this awesome art:

I am exploring using Mathematica to export SVGs of mandala like generated images.

First up? A zip file containing SVGs where each contains 4 to 20 points on a circle, all connected.

File 13 shown below.

Basic Circular Symmetry.zip (45.2 KB)

I’ll add mandala like renderings, if I can figure out how, in a comment on this in a bit.

basic-13

To be clear, I’m starting with the rather brilliant work shared by others and modifying it to make it export friendly and to (potentially) make it a bit more GF friendly:

Moving on from simple geometry, I modified Simon Woods’ answer on the above StackExchange question to generate thousands of random mandala like patterns. Each file is named mandala-N-M-#. The N is the # of features around the circle (i.e. 2 circles, 2 pointy bits, whatever) and the M is the # of circles of mandala like patterns generated (i.e. 10-5-# means there are 10 copies of each feature around 5 circles of different features). The # is just a placeholder; for each combination of copy + circle, I generated 10 different examples. Each zip contains SVG for one particular N value where there are 2 generated files for each M.

simple-mandala-10.zip (5.8 MB)
simple-mandala-11.zip (5.7 MB)
simple-mandala-12.zip (6.2 MB)
simple-mandala-13.zip (6.0 MB)
simple-mandala-14.zip (5.8 MB)
simple-mandala-15.zip (6.2 MB)
simple-mandala-16.zip (6.3 MB)
simple-mandala-17.zip (6.1 MB)
simple-mandala-18.zip (6.1 MB)
simple-mandala-19.zip (6.1 MB)
simple-mandala-9.zip (5.2 MB)
simple-mandala-2.zip (2.4 MB)
simple-mandala-20.zip (6.2 MB)
simple-mandala-21.zip (6.8 MB)
simple-mandala-22.zip (5.9 MB)
simple-mandala-24.zip (6.7 MB)
simple-mandala-23.zip (6.4 MB)
simple-mandala-25.zip (6.6 MB)
simple-mandala-26.zip (6.6 MB)
simple-mandala-27.zip (7.0 MB)
simple-mandala-29.zip (6.9 MB)
simple-mandala-28.zip (6.8 MB)
simple-mandala-3.zip (2.9 MB)
simple-mandala-4.zip (3.2 MB)
simple-mandala-8.zip (5.0 MB)
simple-mandala-7.zip (4.8 MB)
simple-mandala-5.zip (4.2 MB)
simple-mandala-6.zip (4.0 MB)

Or, if you want to download all 2.9GB / 7,840 files, try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sw4vrfz9b7gyap/simple-mandalas.zip?dl=0

Some examples:

2-26

mandala-2-26-0

7-8

mandala-7-8-0

16-6

mandala-16-6-0

29-29

mandala-29-29-1

Exploring Anton Antonov’s answer, I ended up generating a ton of what are more snowflakes than mandalas.

mandala-snow-4 mandala-snow-52 mandala-snow-72

Here are 250 of them:

Mandala Snow.zip (782.1 KB)

31 Likes

Why is this so satisfying?

Wow! That’s super cool!

1 Like

I shifted that to the Tutorials section…you should be able to add anything to it as you flesh out the process. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks, Jules!

I think I’m on to something. Currently generating a few thousand variants on these. Expect to have 'em upload able in a few hours. My Mac mini is being a very effective room warmer at this point. :slight_smile:
mandala-4-8-8 mandala-2-25-9 mandala-2-5-5

5 Likes

OOoh… the generator is doing very cool things. Can’t resist sharing this one:

mandala-4-27-3

And they aren’t all symmetrical! I love tweaking with things I don’t fully understand. :slight_smile:

mandala-5-14-4

7 Likes

These are awesome! Been needing something good to color in between the lines. :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, wow, just the basic circular symmetry gets cool pretty quickly! Scrolling through the files in the ZIP and watching how they get more and more complex is kind of fun. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If someone can clue me in as to how to share 3GB of SVG, you’re gonna have a blast scrolling through the full set of algorithmic mandalas! There are some real surprises in there. Including lack of symmetry in some cases!

mandala-5-16-1

1 Like

Dropbox? I can’t remember how much space the free version comes with, but I have space on mine if you need it. :wink:

0 Likes

OK-- let’s try this (this is all 825.1MB of generated SVG-- about 2.9GB uncompressed).

8 Likes

It works!

0 Likes

It takes a LOT of scrolling, but there are some pretty cool designs in there! (Tip to others: Start from the bottom of the list! :wink: )

5 Likes

These are great @bbum. You obviously went through a great deal of effort to generate these. I will enjoy going through the very large file and picking out a few fabulous ones to do something with. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

That is a load of files! Mandalas can be fun.

3 Likes

Please tag me if you share something! I’d love to see what people create with these!

I have some more algorithms up my sleeve and will likely dump a few gigs more SVGs in the near future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Am still going through the very large file - saving those I like and discarding those I don’t (I have limited space left on my laptop). I tend to like the ones that are perfectly geometric (is that the right way to say this) and have an inner symmetry to them.

2 Likes

Ooh… that sparked an idea. I bet I can make the generator recurse a bit. So, instead of a ring of circles, you’d end up with a ring of circles of circles. Then, I can add regular polygon to the pathing so you end up with, say, a triangle or hexagon with circles of circles at the points.

3 Likes

I’ll certainly be curious what you come up with!

1 Like

playing with an app called Mirrorgraph I was able to do this,

more designs than I can explore actually

After some fooling with in Irfanview

7 Likes

That should make an interesting engrave!

2 Likes