The daily rant: words of encouragement, humor, birthday wishes, etc

I delivered pizza in high school. It happens.

8 Likes

An acquaintance once invited a group of local astronomers to visit him at his house to do some solar observing (pre-mobile phone era). ā€œSwing by anytime Saturday,ā€ he said. So, we did. What we didnā€™t know was that he was a naturalist.

There are some things you just canā€™t un-see. :scream::astonished::dizzy_face:

6 Likes

No way! ROFL! (My mind just fried.)

1 Like

Came for the sun, stayed for the moon.

17 Likes

Sounds like the standard setup for most late-night movies on Cinemax.

1 Like

When your job involves visiting random people in their homes in the evening, you see all sorts of stuff.
People who thought they had time for a shower before I got there and came running to the door without a towel, or people who were lounging in a hot tub instructing me on where to go looking for their wallet in their discarded pants, and occasionally people who were just not wearing clothes. One time to an ā€˜adult partyā€™ that tried to invite me in. Another time to what was probably a bachelorette party that tried to hire me.
The places I delivered for both served an extended rural area outside of town, so sometimes I would be 30-40 minutes away from the shop, and at least 10-20 minutes from a payphone. No cell, no GPS, no camera, just a 17-year-old kid pushing the limits of an '87 Subaru GL Wagon trying to get cash to feed the snowboarding addiction.
ā€¦Ahh, memories of reversing up dark, steep, one-way canyon roads to avoid the much longer ā€œflow of trafficā€ routeā€¦

13 Likes

I had a call on the ambulance (Iā€™m an EMT) once where the wife thought her husband was having a heart attack but pulled him out of the hot tub and into pajama bottoms before she called us. ā€œWhy are your pajamas wet sir, were you incontinent?ā€ :smile: ā€œNo we were naked and my wife didnā€™t want you to know.ā€ :blush:

He was fine. They were in the hot tub engaging in an adult exercise program while drinking wine. That can affect your heart rate and blood pressure and your ability to stand up without falling down :smile:

15 Likes

Arrrggghhhh!!! Mustā€¦pokeā€¦eyesā€¦outā€¦visions of @rpegg in PJs and fluffy pink slippersā€¦cannot unsee that! :scream:

12 Likes

Okay, this made my day. Thank you!

3 Likes

I think I come to this forum every day just to get my giggles out.

8 Likes

My nightmare wa s the Fed Ex guy delivering in PJs and fluffy pink slippers :astonished:

4 Likes

You have to say/read it like the ending of the Romper room showā€¦
" and I see my pre-releaseā€¦ and I see @Scott.Burns pre-releaseā€¦ and I see @cynd11 's pre-releaseā€¦ and I see @thomas.alessi.jr 's pre-releaseā€¦

16 Likes

Or when I finally get mineā€¦

13 Likes

That made my heart hurt. :frowning:

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind that. My FedEx guy is a cute girl. But sheā€™s not the brightest bulb on the porch. She tried to make me take a 55" flat screen delivery over the holidays. It wasnā€™t mine. But it was on her list to deliver to me - they make up a clipboard list of deliveries and they write a number in black marker on the box and then again next to the names on the clipboard. They had written the TVā€™s # next to my name. I had to tell her multiple times it wasnā€™t mine. But she kept checking the number and the clipboard and my house number and my name and it all said to deliver it to me. I finally had to drag her over to look at the shipping label. FedEx ground isnā€™t focused on the labels :slightly_smiling_face:

Thatā€™s my nightmare - itā€™ll go to a neighbor. Whoā€™s on vacation for a month :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I had a rather large sink delivered for our kitchen remodel. Big box. I was expecting delivery, and their email said it was delivered. When my wife and I got homeā€¦nothing. I checked the email for when it was delivered. I have a front door camera, so I checked all days motion detectionā€¦nothing. They had delivered it to the wrong address. This happens more often than I thought. It happens quite often. Moral of the story isā€¦watch for your GF delivery like a hawk. :spy: - Rich

4 Likes

Getting an open-box mis-delivered Glowforge would really put a damper on the excitement !!! Grrr

1 Like

Received a phone call from a neighbor 7 miles up our road that the FedEx delivery guy was headed this way. Documented delivery on three separate video cameras. Why not? Nothing else to do until it was unpacked. (UPS and FedEx arrived at the same time that day.)

22 Likes

I had a 3D printer do that. UPS swore they had GPS data that showed him stopping at my house. I pointed out he might have but he sure didnā€™t leave me my printer. Several weeks later they found it two doors down - those folks werenā€™t home, they were getting some major remodeling done. The contractor accepted delivery and stashed it in a back room that wasnā€™t being remodeled. He didnā€™t look at the name and just figured it was something the neighbors ordered and theyā€™d get it when they wanted it. The GPS coordinates were close enough that UPS figured heā€™d dropped it at my house and didnā€™t even think it might have been the neighbors. They never told me how they found it - I wonder if they had men in brown shorts canvassing the neighborhood asking ā€œdo you have a 3D printer?ā€ :smile:

8 Likes

That railroad crossing light triggered by a motion detector is the coolest thing!

8 Likes