The Hopeful Makings of a Scroll Saw, on a Glowforge

So many great ideas…I wish I was more artistically talented

2 Likes

Or put “spokes” into one of the rings so it can be attached to the movement shaft… Now the ring becomes the hand of the clock… provided the ring is light enough not to put too much load on the movement.

3 Likes

I think your projects are great, and in any case I think Glowforge (the company) needs a whole range of testers to show the rest of the world that regardless of your background or training, you can make something amazing on a Glowforge!

5 Likes

Try this: make one octogon on a piece of paper or on the masking itself. Scan it into the GFUI. Select, copy, paste, embiggen this new octogon and position around first octogon… Copy, paste. Embiggen this one. etc. Set cut operation. Hit print.

7 Likes

Thank you! Yep, I’m definitely in the “Look at what an average Joe, with just ms paint knowledge, can do” category…lol

Although I did just down load fusion 360 today and played around with it a little tonight. Omg, how did I ever live without it?!

5 Likes

That should definitely work…but I had wanted exact dimensions when I first set out to make this…

Added to my list of things to try.

1 Like

That is in the hopper (we’ve talked about it a few times - super handy feature).

12 Likes

:pray:

2 Likes

I had thought how cool it would be to have the ‘nudge’ feature active across any of the handles (enlarge and rotate as well as position).

2 Likes

Yes. The other would be to align horizontal and vertical or rotate according to degree. Yes, you can do all this with a handle and very precise as you zoom in, but these little things help.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your process, challenges, successes and failures. I love reading through it and learning from it!

5 Likes

My pleasure, happy to share!

4 Likes

@nunzioc: First off… nice bowls and workflow.

But… for the sins of your title, you must now go and design a full scroll saw, to be constructed using a Glowforge. That is what I came to this thread to see! You tease!

5 Likes

Lol, I absolutely intend to do so…just need a little bit of time, and some materials…

2 Likes

By the way, this is what the one that I made manually on my mill came out like, after 3 friggen hours!

I hadn’t cleared out the sawdust from the cuts yet so that is why it looks like that, and it exploded when I tried to resaw it ad it slipped from my hold, lol…still have all ten fingers, luckily

16 Likes

Eek! Glowforge safer than scroll saw for sure!

4 Likes

What were your feed/speed/depth per? What bit?

The cuts were 1/8th x 1/8th, and the engraves for the inlay were 1/16th x 1/16th…

I don’t recall the rpms, but I manually moved the bed at what I felt was a fair speed…and wound up breaking the tip off of the 1/16th end mill, lol. Luckily the remaining piece was still usable.

Well, maybe unluckily, since all that work I continued doing went to scrap anyway in the end.

1 Like

Well the first one costs 1 million, second 600k, third one pennies…

For a first time experiment it looks like a good proof of concept and attempt

2 Likes