The safety interlocks on the back of your Glowforge is open. Close it and reboot your machine

I just started up the Glowforge for the first time in a very long time, and it immediately got an error message stating that the “The safety interlocks on the back of your Glowforge is open. Close it and reboot your machine.”. Well, I haven’t opened any safety interlocks and the error message isn’t really specific about how to close them. Rebooting the machine over and over hasn’t helped any either.

Does anyone have any idea what this refers to? I’ve seen similar issues raised in the forums - and they all ended up in people sending the Glowforge back - which would be quite a delivery from Sweden.

1 Like

If you have a Glowforge Pro, the Safety Interlock is that little staple in a circular fitting just above the power switch on the back. If it works itself loose it will break the connection and show that interlock message. Check to see that it is fully inserted.

2 Likes

It looks fully inserted, there’s no way to even wiggle it :frowning:

I’m so sorry for the trouble.

Regarding the interlock: Can you try pulling the pin all the way out and putting it back in?

I extracted the logs to investigate the problem you reported, and I also noticed your Glowforge is also having trouble talking with the print head.

Can you try the following steps for me as well:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

7. Turn your Glowforge back on.

8. Send us the photo of the gold pins from step 4.

With the head reconnected, and the interlock pin reinserted, see if that makes any difference.

Will try both as soon as I get back home, thanks!

/m

Fully removed the pin:

Fully inserted it again:

Still no dice:

The Ribbon Cable looks like this, no issues that I can detect;

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.