Thick white paper/photo engrave settings

I’m not seeing that… :-/

Thank you!

While I’m throwing links at you (:wink:), this one would probably be helpful for you to read through, too:

1 Like

:slight_smile: thank you so much!!

1 Like

No problem.

@evansd2 has done a couple of amazing engraves on paper, if you’re looking for inspiration:

1 Like

I did manual focus. I never use autofocus and rarely use measurements.

1 Like

How do you do a manual focus without measuring? :wink:

Sharp eyesight :rofl:

1 Like

Tried these settings too, no good…

Settings are going to vary between materials, even if both materials are paper. The best you can really hope for from someone else’s settings is a starting point for your own testing. :slight_smile:

I’m confused by your top photo because I can’t really figure out what it’s showing. But what I would do, were I you, is create a small filled shape, make duplicates of it, then on each one change the settings just slightly. Maybe for the first run, keep them all at a power of 8 and decrease the speed by 50 on each one, and see what happens. Or keep the speed the same and bump up the power by 2 points on each one. That’s how you dial in settings. Nobody else can do it for you, if you want to use non-PG materials.

In the top photo I’m just showing that with those settings I’m not even marking the paper.

1 Like

The washed out brown example posted by ovm.steve above is about as good as I’ve ever gotten on what I would call paper. Any darker and it just breaks apart.

I have had fair results on white-finished chipboard. That is thick enough to support a deep, darker engrave. That would be similar to the two-sided cardstock examples linked to above, where the white is removed to expose the darker background.

Of course, where do you draw the lines between “paper” and “cardstock” and “chipboard”?

4 Likes

Have you seen this post? She had good results on 140lb stock.

Thank you. I sort of have it dialed in (see image and settings I used). Any ideas on how I can get rid of the lines?

I got cut off yesterday because I am new to the forum and had to wait a day to post again.

1 Like

Are the images scanned?

No, for instance this is the source file

What software was used to create this?

Adobe sketch with charcoal effects