This is MA GF users signing off

@henryhbk, if you mounted a GF on the front of your tractor, how deeply through snow could you engrave (without the crumb tray , of course)?

1 Like

Winters of my childhood where the snowbanks got 10-15’ tall and tended to drift shut. The big county plows burying themselves in a drift and needing towing out.

1 Like

I love the music you chose for that.

Now I’ll have to watch the movie again

So it is really a Nor’Easter but with a unique genesis from for the cyclone?

Stay safe. Winds are bad. Hope everyone is safe, and power and internet keeps going for the GF sake!

Good luck. That’s global warming for ya…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes! Back then, for me, it was Hollidaysburg, PA…

1 Like

There isn’t really a MA Glowforge Users Group… yet. There are plenty of us around, though.

I think there was talk of a New England Glowforge Users Group (NEGFUG) awhile back.

1 Like

Erie, PA … 130” of snow and counting. My poor GF is in the garage hiding under 3 blankets😟

1 Like

Welp. yesterday, the streets around my office flooded at high tide with the storm surge. Literally a foot of freezing seawater just merrily on its way down the street.
Thankfully, I think everybody was working from home.
I headed out later and helped @joe shovel out his car since he had to be in the office today. XD

Now I’ve got to figure out how to ventilate my :glowforge: in this miserable cold! :smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the help, shoveling always goes quicker with some good conversation!

1 Like

Right? I’m sorry I haven’t been 'round to catch up sooner. The lathe has had my hobby attention lately rather than the glowforge.

1 Like

Our train out of South station was cancelled this AM. We caught a later one out, it was 45 min late arriving. Apparently the switching equipment froze up, it effected our train, and a bunch of commuter trains right at 5PM.
On our way to a Bat Mitzvah in NJ!

2 Likes

I did mine last night after it stopped. Figured it was only going to get colder. Took four hours and for the first time in my life I got frost bitten fingers. My hands were getting cold in my gloves then one started to hurt then it stopped. I finally decided I ought to get a different pair of gloves to finish shoveling some of the edges.

Got inside and couldn’t move my fingers. Took my gloves off and the fingers on one hand were all stiff, cold and white. I figured I’d warm them under water and found out that hurts almost as bad as cutting a finger tip off (or more precisely trying to remove a clotted gauze from a finger whose tip was cut off).

It wasn’t until this afternoon the tingling went away and those fingertips are still colder on their surface than the other hand.

Moral is to go inside when you’re cold and don’t stay outside when it’s -20 wind-chill wrestling a snowblower into the wind.

Also it’s a good idea not to mention it to the wife :grinning:

7 Likes

You’ll have to be very careful from here on out - once you’ve had frostbite once, that tissue remains susceptible. I’m really sorry to hear you got bit.

1 Like

Yeah, decades of backpacking and it happens to me in the driveway :thinking:

I thought I was prepared - no exposed skin. Was a pain with the glasses fogging but other than my hands I was fine. The Thinsulate lining just wasn’t thick enough.

1 Like

I was in Minneapolis on business in Feb 1996 when they set their coldest temperature record. I had gloves on but my glasses fogged up just seconds after I stepped outside. So I took a glove off to wipe them, and got a mild case of frostbite in my fingertips before I was able to get the gloves back on. Cold, cold.

1 Like

Mayoclinic.com says to warm them in 99-104 degree water.

Yep. You do want to avoid hot water - that’ll do some damage (per my old EMT & WFR training). Never worried about it on me before because I was always appropriately dressed for winter camping. Running the snowblower in the driveway didn’t click with me about the hands issue (although I was wearing a killer parka & polarfleece balaclava). Just inadequate gloves - should have pulled out the arctic ones or gone in and warmed up when I got cold…just wanted to push through it and get it finished. Probably should get my testosterone checked :smile:

4 Likes