This is MA GF users signing off

You’ll have to be very careful from here on out - once you’ve had frostbite once, that tissue remains susceptible. I’m really sorry to hear you got bit.

1 Like

Yeah, decades of backpacking and it happens to me in the driveway :thinking:

I thought I was prepared - no exposed skin. Was a pain with the glasses fogging but other than my hands I was fine. The Thinsulate lining just wasn’t thick enough.

1 Like

I was in Minneapolis on business in Feb 1996 when they set their coldest temperature record. I had gloves on but my glasses fogged up just seconds after I stepped outside. So I took a glove off to wipe them, and got a mild case of frostbite in my fingertips before I was able to get the gloves back on. Cold, cold.

1 Like

Mayoclinic.com says to warm them in 99-104 degree water.

Yep. You do want to avoid hot water - that’ll do some damage (per my old EMT & WFR training). Never worried about it on me before because I was always appropriately dressed for winter camping. Running the snowblower in the driveway didn’t click with me about the hands issue (although I was wearing a killer parka & polarfleece balaclava). Just inadequate gloves - should have pulled out the arctic ones or gone in and warmed up when I got cold…just wanted to push through it and get it finished. Probably should get my testosterone checked :smile:

4 Likes