This is MA GF users signing off

Are you all at home? do you need anything? We’re all home as well, though my snowblower picked exactly the right time to chew up a gear.

1 Like

I feel for you… here in Montreal we luckily not be afftected by this one. the cold temperatures are however starting to freeze my bones’ marrow :slight_smile:
we just had a week were the temperature lingered around -20c (-4f). and after a few days of balmy, warm -10c (14f) we are looking forward to a few more days of -20c again…

stay warm!

3 Likes

Yeah. This snowstorm is actually welcome in one sense because it brought a warming spell of a couple of days in the 20s :smile:

It goes back into the sub-zero and single digits on Saturday.

It’s pretty sick to be happy about a blizzard because it means “it’s warmer” :smile:

3 Likes

We’re at home just hanging out. We should be good, thanks for the offer. Got all the fixin’s for some quesadillas. Planning on going out to shovel after the little one is asleep.

10 Likes

Awesome! We suited the Wiggle up in her snow pants, but she was having none of it so she went right back in. I managed to get the walk and porch shoveled, the Mini into the garage, and the FJ in the driveway behind it.
Gimme a shout if you’d like a hand.

2 Likes

Nope, I use one of these (really gets it clean down to the pavement)

9 Likes

I am in Lakeville MA, 40 miles south of Boston, where we got 15” plus. I have a 600 foot driveway, But also a young neighbor with heavy equipment. He is out there now. More info on MA Glowforge Users Group would be appreciated.

1 Like

@henryhbk, if you mounted a GF on the front of your tractor, how deeply through snow could you engrave (without the crumb tray , of course)?

1 Like

Winters of my childhood where the snowbanks got 10-15’ tall and tended to drift shut. The big county plows burying themselves in a drift and needing towing out.

1 Like

I love the music you chose for that.

Now I’ll have to watch the movie again

So it is really a Nor’Easter but with a unique genesis from for the cyclone?

Stay safe. Winds are bad. Hope everyone is safe, and power and internet keeps going for the GF sake!

Good luck. That’s global warming for ya…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes! Back then, for me, it was Hollidaysburg, PA…

1 Like

There isn’t really a MA Glowforge Users Group… yet. There are plenty of us around, though.

I think there was talk of a New England Glowforge Users Group (NEGFUG) awhile back.

1 Like

Erie, PA … 130” of snow and counting. My poor GF is in the garage hiding under 3 blankets😟

1 Like

Welp. yesterday, the streets around my office flooded at high tide with the storm surge. Literally a foot of freezing seawater just merrily on its way down the street.
Thankfully, I think everybody was working from home.
I headed out later and helped @joe shovel out his car since he had to be in the office today. XD

Now I’ve got to figure out how to ventilate my :glowforge: in this miserable cold! :smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the help, shoveling always goes quicker with some good conversation!

1 Like

Right? I’m sorry I haven’t been 'round to catch up sooner. The lathe has had my hobby attention lately rather than the glowforge.

1 Like

Our train out of South station was cancelled this AM. We caught a later one out, it was 45 min late arriving. Apparently the switching equipment froze up, it effected our train, and a bunch of commuter trains right at 5PM.
On our way to a Bat Mitzvah in NJ!

2 Likes

I did mine last night after it stopped. Figured it was only going to get colder. Took four hours and for the first time in my life I got frost bitten fingers. My hands were getting cold in my gloves then one started to hurt then it stopped. I finally decided I ought to get a different pair of gloves to finish shoveling some of the edges.

Got inside and couldn’t move my fingers. Took my gloves off and the fingers on one hand were all stiff, cold and white. I figured I’d warm them under water and found out that hurts almost as bad as cutting a finger tip off (or more precisely trying to remove a clotted gauze from a finger whose tip was cut off).

It wasn’t until this afternoon the tingling went away and those fingertips are still colder on their surface than the other hand.

Moral is to go inside when you’re cold and don’t stay outside when it’s -20 wind-chill wrestling a snowblower into the wind.

Also it’s a good idea not to mention it to the wife :grinning:

7 Likes