Tie Down Mat

I was struggling to get this 6"x5" silicone sand bucket to stay flat in the glowforge with using normal clips and so I decided to come up with a new solution.

IMG_3656

It is really an open concept and anyone can build off it. I will go over my setup and all information you would need to do the same thing. I will also explain some of my design decisions to keep in mind if you want to make something along the same concept.
o if anyone wants to make this themself, here is the file and materials used to make it:
File (you have to right click on the image and select “save as” to save it as a svg):
slits
You can make it with different slit spacing. The reason I picked mine was because of how I planned to have the webbing feed through sets of two slits and so I wanted to make sure there is a good size gap between those slits so that the gap does not break off easily.

Materials

• 12x20 medium draft board (you can use thicker if you want it to handle more tension)
  • 1" Polypropylene Webbing (you can use nylon but nylon is really silky and I find it can loosen itself with the triglids)
  • 1" triglid: Amazon.com

How I made the straps

1. Cut the 1" webbing into 30" long pieces
  2. Use a lighter to burn end of the webbing and prevent it from unraveling (look on YouTube for how to do this if you are not familiar with it)
  3. Fed one end of the strap around the middle of a triglid and sewed it down (if you do not sew then rivets are a easy alternative)
    Here is the result:
    IMG_3666

How I strap it down
The explanations might not make sense but the pictures show what I am meaning :slight_smile:

1. Feed the webbing through a set of two slots and pull it through so that the sewed on triglid latches down
    IMG_3667

2. Slide a second triglid onto the webbing through the center of the triglid
    IMG_3668

3. Feed the end of the webbing through a set of slots and set your material on the board under the strap
    IMG_3669

4. Feed the end of the webbing through both triglids
    IMG_3670

5. Press down on your material and tighten the straps till its at the needed tension to keep the material flat
    IMG_3657

Bucket from tutorial
Here is the bucket I use in this example. I used settings that I found from searching in Beyond the Manual for silicone (non proof grade settings can only be shared there)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097GD94RR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61 Likes

You have saved many of us so much time, trial and error. Thanks for this innovative approach to flattening irregular things.

12 Likes

I might need one of these for my cat (so I can clip her nails!)

22 Likes

@MyDogsThinkImCrazy you are always pushing the envelope with new materials and techniques for the :glowforge:! Thanks for the stream of ideas and Congratulations.

12 Likes

I didn’t imagine you as a danger seeker :hushed:.

12 Likes

I have seen straight jacket like cat sacks for that and the reviews are always amusing :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great share! Thanks!

7 Likes

What an inspired idea!

5 Likes

You might need a tranquilizer, too. The Glowforge would do an awesome job I bet at trimming the nails very precise - but it might really stink. :rofl:
Just make sure when you put the cat in the Glowforge that you give it some cat-laser-safety-glasses. LOL

6 Likes

She sits in the cookbook shelf in the kitchen island and snags me with her needle sharp claw-daggers as I pass by. I’m tired of bleeding; I need a way to dull them without bleeding out!

5 Likes

Very good thinking!!!

5 Likes

Good luck with that! Pix, or it didn’t happen.

7 Likes

Very innovative! This is up there with the other person who attached a sled to the gantry to do round objects, and of course @evansd2 who made the vacuum tray for paper.

I’m sure there are many other innovators I’m missing with the call outs, but this is certainly impressive.

11 Likes

This is fantastic! My first thought was for silicone holders that would fit around a coffee mug. Would one-way velcro work as well? Thanks for sharing not only the design, but the detailed instructions!

8 Likes

I was just trying to imagine how to do something like this but hadn’t had a chance to really experiment - this is fabulous!!

6 Likes

Cool solution!

4 Likes

I echo @reynoso’s sentiment, such innovation, thanks for figuring this out and sharing.

@geek2nurse :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

That would be a great idea with it! I can stand the sound of velcro so my mind would not have gone there, but I think it would work really well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sandpaper armbands?

2 Likes

Pretty clever, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes