Too many cut passes when set to 1

I am experiencing problems with 2 cut passes on medium draft board when it is set for 1 pass. The design is initially a trace design. I also noticed that the selection for draftboard cant be selected. It’s whited out. I only have one line in the design. I can’t see how there could possibly be an overlay of lines.

Your file has two lines, and therefore the Glowforge make two passes. If you have an outside and inside line for a path rather than a single, center line this happens. Since this is a traced path, it is likely there are two image and therefore two lines. In Inkscape, when an image is traced one must be deleted to avoid double cuts.

If you care to share the file, I am certain someone can eliminate one of the cut lines for you. As for not being able to select draftboard, that seems like quite odd behavior. In the materials drop down menu I have never seen anything whited out. Can you share a photo of this behavior?

4 Likes

Yes, somebody would be happy to help - or if you want to fix it yourself this should help:

3 Likes

This can’t be. I drew the lines on paper then used the camera capture in glowforge. I only drew one line. In fact, to avoid such a double traced line, I outlined the animal first and cut it. It too cut a double line around the animal object. Next I did a separate camera trace for the puzzle lines. Then I sized the puzzle lines on top of the already cut animal. My drawing for both only the animal and puzzle lines were hand drawings. Why are the double lines coming from? Possibly when I touch the trace for cut? Who shall I send my file to? And how?

I will send you a pic of drop down tomorrow. I got too frustrated and turned off glowforge.

Unfortunately the tips and tricks didn’t work . I don’t use Adobe or Inkscape. I used Glowforge trace tool.

We all understand your frustration and the need to walk away for a bit. Please know that there are lots of people here to help you get this sorted out so that you can enjoy using your Glowforge and making unique things. The trace feature is fun, but not foolproof. Hang in there and get some rest.

2 Likes

When you draw an image for tracing, you want to make sure to use clean lines (eg: Sharpie Marker rather than pencil) on white paper.

That’s because a cut line will be placed anywhere there is a change of color…from black to white, or white to black. So you want to make sure that any closed shapes are completely closed, with no gaps in the line. That will create a single cut line that loops around on itself, which acts like a double cut line.

The other thing to watch is that you do not click directly on the line itself, if you want to just cut out around it. Click on the white background. Otherwise the software assumes you want to place a cut line on the outside of the line that you clicked on, and one on the inside of the line. There is a color change to white on either side of a closed black line.

There is a tutorial on how to use the Trace tool in the Glowforge interface here:

6 Likes

Hey there @thomas6611, thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear you’re having a frustrating time with the trace tool. The tutorial that @Jules included in their last post should help. If you still have trouble after working through it, please let us know.

As for not being able to select your Draftboard, could you please post a screenshot of what you’re seeing in the app when you try to select Draftboard? Please include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible. Once we have that, we can offer next steps.

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

1 Like

Hello @thomas6611

We haven’t heard back from you in a couple days so I wanted to check in. Hopefully this is just because the steps @Jules provided did the trick!

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.