Tray Puzzle 6

I thought I’d try a more symmetrical puzzle. Although it can’t be very symmetrical because then you’d get the pieces muddled up. So, with a bit of help from a scoring layer and an engrave layer I think I may have cracked it!

“Where is Tray Puzzle 5?” I hear you ask! Well, it got put on hold because I was inspired by this one, so will probably appear tomorrow.

“Why didn’t you call this Number 5?” I hear you ask! Well, I’m a bit dim sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

51 Likes

BTW, there is nothing at Island-Design.eu yet. The site will launch when I get my GF. Did I say that before? :confused:
And I’m working on my logo - nearly there - it will replace the © lines.

Also, is anyone making these things?

7 Likes

Looks great! Can’t wait to see what it will look like in the real world.

5 Likes

It’s really frustrating not being able to make them myself!

7 Likes

I love all your puzzle designs! I fully intend to do one, just keep getting sidetracked. (Unexpected company coming so I’m spending the day cleaning house instead of 'forging. :confused:)

3 Likes

Ian, that is absolutely wonderful. I love it.
An Escher version next ?

3 Likes

If you started 5 before you started this one, ‘6’ is appropriate, not dim.

3 Likes

I hear you. I have so many projects that are designed, but not cut yet. I only get about 2-4 hours per month at the local maker-space, so there is really not enough time to cut everything.

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat, except I still haven’t found a good option for a local laser cutter.
My local maker-space is about $40/month to join and since i really can’t make more then a few hours a month it really doesn’t make sense to join.
Bright side is i will have no shortage of projects to run once i get my GF.

4 Likes

I like that one too - very cool!

2 Likes

I’ll make you one tonight. Want me to mail one to you?

5 Likes

I want you to mail him one, but I don’t really have a dog in this race.

12 Likes

:squee: logic brain likey…artistic brain…likey too…lol

6 Likes

I’m all the way over in Malta James! I do appreciate the offer though. I’ll be very happy just to see some photos, thank you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:smile: I’m looking at it trying to decide if I can modify it (after cutting his original) so I can make it out of maple and walnut instead of engraving.

2 Likes

I don’t really think that would work without slicing up everything and glueing the different woods together. May work with veneers though, if you use the score layers to cut the veneers and lay them on top of ply.

Yeah, I can’t tell from the picture (don’t have AI to download the file on this machine) so I’m only hoping. Might be a cool veneer inlay project too though.

I’ll cut one of these tonight and you can let me know if you want it.

2 Likes

So, I need to ask… Since you are sharing these with us (greaty appreciated), will you be selling these also? I do recall you mentioning that you will be. Will they be available online?
I’m asking because I’m going to make the ones you’ve shared with us and display them and, with your permission, put them on my website with a link to yours.

1 Like

By all means make them, but please don’t sell them. I do intend selling them online and locally when I can make them myself. My website won’t be up and running for a while, www.island-design.eu - (I really should put up a holding page!).

If you want to link somewhere please use https://www.facebook.com/Ian.Ellery.Illustration/ or www.kindamagic.co.uk

Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very nice!

Made me think of this cartoon from The New Yorker… :wink:

21 Likes