Jigsaw puzzle generator

This is great! Thank you so much for making and sharing such a cool tool.

Thanks for the contribution. I’d say, nice bit of code writing (without actually having looked at the code).

You’ve inspired me to learn a new language. It’s javascript inside html, right?

1 Like

That’s right. My code is not very clean, but it gets the job done. If you have questions, I’m happy to explain.

4 Likes

Has no one tried this out on a :glowforge: yet? I’d love to see it in action! You can bet when my :glowforge: arrives, I’ll be giving this a shot!

Thanks for sharing your handiwork!

1 Like

I don’t know that anyone has loaded up a cut file from the generator that @Draradech so graciously put together - but quite a few puzzles have been made and posted on the forums.

1 Like

My plan for using this puzzle generator is to dry mount a photo to mat board, then cut.

What is the best way to do the cutting to leave the photo clean? Cut upside down on paper to suppress flashback? Put adhesive masking on the photo and cut right side up?

6 Likes

Did you find duplicate cuts? (doubling up on the pieces)

My teenager son has dabbled in java, mainly writing minecreaft mods…I may have him look at it to show there are other useful things he could do…lol

2 Likes

I downloaded an SVG - the cuts/paths aren’t duplicated. The only question I had was that it’s all a compound path; I didn’t know if the UI would process the file by drilling down to extract/process the individual paths. I assume that works fine though from @marmak3261’s post.

It’s all client side. So you “downloaded” a .svg from your own browser :slight_smile: (maybe I should rename the button to “save SVG”…)

Regarding the compound path: if that doesn’t work for the glowforge, I would consider that a serious glowforge bug. That would impact a lot of SVGs.

4 Likes

Whoa! I love that you were just like, “Nah, these aren’t cutting it… I’ll just write my own code.” Bam! Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

No worries about the compound path. It’s a nice SVG with minimum nodes. Great job.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this program. I have yet to get my Pro notice, and needed something like this, that seems pretty simple to use. Just want I had hoped for. Thank you

1 Like

Very cool - thank you for sharing this with us!

2 Likes

@jonreneberg:

Here you go!

https://community.glowforge.com/t/cont-im-puzzled-chipboard-and-photo-paper/11458/16?u=jbmanning5&source_topic_id=9284
3 Likes

Hey thanks! this is fantastic.
I just made 4 puzzles for my neice’s Christmas present.
You are fantastic.
I’ll post photos once I cut.

2 Likes

Thanks again. This turned out fantastic.

Glowforge cut pretty.

My niece is 2. When asked for her Christmas list, her momma listed a few things: among them, puzzles.

Maybe 20 piece and 30 piece puzzles might be a touch ambitious.

I am usually motivated to take on a challenge when the outcome is something that I care about. I’m hoping she’ll feel that way, too.

Her folks give and appreciate thoughtful gifts, rather than “whatever” and gift cards, so I am anticipating a home run.
Especially when wrapped up with a personalized tag like this.

19 Likes

Sweet gifts! :grinning:

1 Like

Yessssss! I may be biased on the puzzle front, but I love it! My niece will be getting some as well!

2 Likes