Turn off auto focus

I’m trying to engrave with the crumb tray out and used risers to make the object 1.5, so a focus height of .16 (1.34" is my crumb tray). I set the focus to .16 and it won’t engrave, I think it’s because of auto focus. I’ve never had this issue before. Any way to turn off the auto focus?

You could use the Set Focus tool rather than manually setting material height. Auto Focus isn’t performed if you use the Set Focus tool.

1 Like

yeah I set the focus to .16 an it keeps telling me that I have to have my height set less than .5 with the crumb tray and within 1.5 to 2" with it removed.

Not sure you understood. You are setting the material height manually. The autofocus will still try to measure the material height at an unknown place within your design. If the red led laser spot doesn’t hit the material you will get that error. If you use the Set Focus tool you can select fairly precisely where the material height measurement is taken. Make sure the red led laser spot fully hits your material.

2 Likes

Just to be 100% clear…

set%20focus

2 Likes

If you want to override the autofocus, you need to change the focal height to a different value than the material height. For example, set the material height to .17" and the focal height to .16". That will effectively override the autofocus.

Your best bet though is to use the Set Focus if you can. Is it a really small object that you’re trying to engrave?

Thanks for the answers, @rpegg, @ChristyM, and @jbmanning5. @joshnmary484, can you let us know if you’re still having trouble?

These workarounds did the trick!

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!