Compact Filter, Set Focus, and Extreme Temperature Sensing: 4/29/19 Latest Improvements

31 Likes

All of these are great updates but that ā€œSet Focusā€ feature is wonderful! So often the automatically chosen spot falls off the edge of (or in a hole in) my material so being able to choose the spot is a big improvement. Plus it will make it less essential to measure exactly with calipers or to have completely flat materials! This is awesome!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a great point @tim1724: if youā€™re using your own materials, you can now skip measuring them and entering the height, and use Set Focus instead.

11 Likes

@Rita thanks as always you guys are wonderful. Keep up the great workā€¦:grinning::grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

I just LOVE how so many really cool and essential things are rolling out to us. Thank you so much team Glowforgeā€¦youā€™re all doing an amazing job in keeping us happy and keeping our projects coming out better and better all the time.

10 Likes

Set Focus is a game-changer!

6 Likes

Hope folks are paying attention. :smile:

Thanks team Glowforge!

6 Likes

Thanks for these great improvements!

3 Likes

Dan, I did that today with some cutting boards for the bar and it worked PERFECTLY. Of course, we still need calipers for determining the width of joints for 3D objects, but this definitely means they will get a lot less use!

Thank you!

5 Likes

Delighted this helped! The feedback is much appreciated.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve visited the community - so glad to see this update! Iā€™ll have to go home and try out this new feature asap!
Thanks GF staff for the continued improvements!

6 Likes

I havenā€™t run anything since this announcement, but Iā€™d think the thickness measurement would be found in the manual settings so you could just read it. So possibly no need for calipers at all?

1 Like

When using Set Focus, the thickness just appears as ā€œautoā€.

1 Like

1 Like

Set Focus is a very nice addition. Seems like an incremental step closer to SNAPMARKS FOR ALL!

ā€¦ fingers crossed ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m not complaining - it is a very useful feature, and having designed and built software in the past, I know that sometimes the things that we think should be very easy to do / build / fix sometimes are far more complicated, particularly when they are added after the fact.

Iā€™m going to guess that there is some special logic that tells the system to point to an internally stored value (the result of ā€œset focusā€) for the material height, and having the ā€œautoā€ there may be a result of a logic branch that initiates a completely different set of processing.

Because it ā€œjust worksā€ for me, I am *** PERFEFCTLY FINE *** with this approach. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, no doubt! My response was too generic. The fact that it populates ā€œAutoā€ instead of the value that it obviously knows is what I was calling lame. But even at that, I kinda donā€™t care. It just seems to me that it measured something, it should report something. If for no other reason than for use to look at that result to kinda go ā€œWait. That doesnā€™t seem right. I donā€™t think itā€™s that thick.ā€

2 Likes

Thereā€™s just no pleasing some people. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I agree. We could have it all and no issues and there would be those who would still find something wrongā€¦:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

He was kidding, peopleā€¦ the Dr. Evil meme is a dead giveaway. Yeah, weā€™d love to see what the laser head measured the thickness as, but Iā€™m not wanting them to waste time populating that value if theyā€™re working on cool stuff like ā€˜snap marksā€™ for everyone!! :slight_smile:

Set Focus will be a great help, especially when youā€™ve got something propped up on risers because itā€™s too thick for the crumbtrayā€¦

3 Likes