Type of Paint

I have been using acrylic on most of the items I am painting, however it is leaving brush strokes in the finished product. I have tried thinning it (I have bottles you squeeze the paint out of, then I mix it on a pallet) but to no avail. I like to paint everything so it can stand up to the rigors of the outdoors and day-to-day life. Any suggestions on what to do, or what to use would be greatly appreciated.

Spray paint is a solid option… Kind of depends on what kinds of pieces you’re painting.

Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

I paint everything with Rustoleum, Krylon or my airbrush.

2 Likes

We make earrings and paint portions of them and not others, but for items that are single color, I can see spray paint being a solid option.

Also, thank you!

1 Like

Had not thought about an air-brush, thank you for the idea!

1 Like

What about rear-surface painting?

No brush strokes on the back side, yeah? For earrings that might not be practical, but if you specify a left and right earring with clear acrylic reverse-painted…?

3 Likes

I use spray enamel 9 times out of 10.

I have acrylics but I only use them for fine detail work. Also alcohol ink markers.

4 Likes

So my wife does most of the earrings but most are wood, then she paints both sides. However, the reverse painting on acrylic would be cool, once again, thank you for the idea (she likes that too). :slight_smile:

1 Like

She has been doing research for weeks, just found something that says you need to use an “acrylic flow aid”. I think she is going to try that for the detail work. Just wanted to share in case anyone else can use the idea.

1 Like

You can do a lot with prepainting, using wood stains, or exotic wood that is inherently colored, then inlay. Check out the contrast I get here:

The inlay seems like a fair amount of work until you realize that it scales so well… no more painting/drying, and very reproduceable results.

3 Likes

what were you thinning it with? Just water, or did you try a flow improver?

6 Likes

We were thinning with Acrylic Paint Thinner. Flow Improver is on the way.

2 Likes

I just started using the “Winsor & Newton” acrylic paint products. They are really nice! Way better than the cheaper stuff I was using before.

3 Likes

That was a great read, thank you! What you have created is stunning, thank you for sharing! I am going to be building a standup paddle board (not cutting with the GF), but the waves would be perfect for joining the boards before I mill them into the strips. I have a lot on the to do list before I get going on that, but now know how I will turn 7’ boards into 14 footers!

My wife and I vary on what all should be painted too, the woods you have above deserve only a finish that makes them stand out, paint is for all the other stuff.

1 Like

Take a look at Golden Fluid Acrylics - they’re already nice and thin, adding flow improver makes them extra luscious and smooth.

1 Like

Thank you! We will check it out!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Wanted to thank you for the suggestion, this stuff is the bomb! My wife is overjoyed!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.