Ummmm.... what is diss?

1 Like

See here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping

4 Likes

Probably about time to use it, or you might start to find your prints not cutting through. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve only had the machine about a week. Can’t need cleaning already would it?

Depends what you’ve been cutting and engraving on. Some things produce a lot of residue and can gunk up the lenses rather quickly.

You can wait until cuts start to fail, but I prefer to clean every couple of days and avoid wasting materials. :wink:

Pro tip: walk through the article and make sure you find all the lenses to clean. I missed the one hidden in the left side for a while, and got pretty frustrated trying to get my cuts to work!

2 Likes

We need to make it where everytime someone asks what is this for this they should have to buy the next round. :wink:

4 Likes

Enough people have asked, I’d say it needs the words “Lens Tool” on it somewhere.

8 Likes

I’d also say it needs a second, weaker magnet on the other end. Strong enough to hold the lens on, but weak enough that it’s not as strong as the mount in the head. It would be much better than the moment of terror I get every time I have to reinstall the lens; I feel like it’s going to fall off before I get it in the slot.

3 Likes

Mine did, once. I did the “turn the head back over while holding the lens on the non-magnetized end” balancing act, and lost control of it. It fell off, I fumbled the catch, it bounced away from me, hit the floor just short of the carpet, and shattered.

Now I leave the head sitting there upside-down on the crumb tray while I clean the lens. When it’s done, I just carefully drop it back in place.

4 Likes

I do this too. Too panicked to let the lens get damaged.

2 Likes

I don’t turn the head over at all anymore. The first time I cleaned it, I turned it upside down and watched debris drop onto the mirror. Used a small air bulb from my camera cleaning kit to get it back out, but I didn’t like to have to do that. Now I pull the lens straight down, and install it straight back up.

4 Likes

even better.

you broke a LENS? OMG.
Damn.

Yeah. I might have cried a little. :cry:

And the “no forging” bit… until the replacement arrived!

1 Like

I honestly don’t even remember getting such a thing.

How are you cleaning your lens then? It’s way easier if you remove it first.

I never have. I probably ought to.

1 Like

I’ve been using my Glowforge for a week. If the “yellowing” of the case around the lid is any indication of the muck being built up on the lens and mirrors, I think cleaning often is probably in order.

3 Likes

Have you noticed inconsistent results? If it starts to not reliably cut things, you’ve definitely waited too long.

1 Like