Unexpected Error issues

Tried to write support, and mentioned that I had trouble again on another thread, but it got shut down. Any SVG I try get the error on uploading, even ones I have used previously with no problems. I know it looks like there is text in some of them, but they have been converted, and are paths. This happened a few weeks ago as well. I did just grab a jpeg, and that actually loaded, but no SVG is working.

1 Like

Currently a problem loading files originating from CorelDraw and Affinity Designer:

2 Likes

For now you should try saving as PDF rather than SVG. Although that wonā€™t always work for every file, as there are some aspects of PDF that the Glowforge software doesnā€™t yet support.

Why would SVG not be appropriate? Almost everything I have done so far has been in SVG format from inkscape. Not an artist or even terribly competent on the computer, but I am trying to understand what is going on here. I like my laser toy, and it has been fun, but things like this are very frustrating when you need to recut something for someone. Also the offset issue, but I guess that is just a permanent issue with the glowforgeā€¦

Thereā€™s a bug right now in the Glowforge software that is making it reject SVGs. Using PDFs is the only real workaround at the moment.

1 Like

Currently the only problems occur with CorelDraw and Affinity Designer SVG files. Illustrator and Inkscape SVG files are still recognized.

1 Like

Only just uploaded. Tried a pdf, it opened but looked odd, then deleted it and uploaded the SVG

Iā€™ve never had trouble with my SVG files until yesterday, then poof. I feel your pain. From one of the comments Jules made it seems like itā€™s a translation error of some sort from Corel or Affinity. I use Corel pretty exclusively. Itā€™s beyond frustratingā€¦ The response time to service tickets is getting very slow, Iā€™m sure theyā€™re running off their feet right now. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

1 Like

Illustrator and Inkscape files can also use the even-odd fill rule, in which case the Glowforge will reject those files too. Itā€™s not the default setting in those programs but itā€™s available.

And most other software that isnā€™t Illustrator or Inkscape uses the even-odd rule too. (Itā€™s the easiest way to implement certain operations.)

2 Likes

Iā€™m almost afraid to ask, but what is the ā€˜even-odd fill ruleā€™?

When given a complicated shape with overlapping bits there are two standard ways to decide which parts should be filled in. The even-odd rule and the non-zero winding rule.

The SVG specification defines them here: https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#FillProperties

Although the SVG spec kind of assumes you already know about the rules (which have been around at least since Postscript in 1984, although I think theyā€™re actually a decade or two older than that).

Thereā€™s a more complete explanation here:

2 Likes

Is there a way that you guys can set the non-zero winding rule in Affinity Designer as the default?

No. And it wouldnā€™t help. Because whenever you perform a subtract operation on two curves, the resulting curve is set to even-odd. (because this by far the easiest way to implement the subtract operation. To end up with a non-zero curve as the result the program would have to go in and flip the directions of some of the curves.)

1 Like

I wonder what Illustrator is doing differently?

Itā€™s going to the effort to flip paths when needed so the result is a path that works with the non-zero rule. Illustrator has always preferred the non-zero rule, so all of its path-combining operations generate results that use the non-zero rule.

Note that Photoshop is the opposite; its path operations prefer to use the even-odd rule, like Affinity Designer.

Normally this makes no difference whatsoever, as every graphics program on the planet (aside from the Glowforge UI) supports both.

2 Likes

You can ā€œbreakā€ this in Illustrator if you go out of your way and intentionally assign a different fill-rule (its hidden in the Attributes window)

I just got a reply to my support ticket - asking me to try again and let them know how it goes. Once my file is finished I will try again with the SVG. Hopefully theyā€™ve gotten it straightened out this time.

Seems to be working now. Only lost a dayā€¦sigh.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what frustrates me. I donā€™t have a ton of time right now to chase ghosts and losing a full day of time is a day I canā€™t afford right now. It takes a lot to send me back to the K40 or the Redsail but I was hours away from needing to do that. As long as these situations continue to plague us the GF remains a hobby toy and not a true work tool - even though most of the time it can be successfully used as one, when it canā€™t be reliably counted in it loses its strategic value to a business. Just takes one lost commission because of wonky cloud based issues to cause you to question your ability to commit to a client.

5 Likes