Unexpected Error occurring again

Yay! I’ll give it a try!

I’ll have to check when I get home tonight. I was weighing the time required to write a post-processor to strip the fill: rule syntax out of the SVG file or fire up the Redsail and convert the jobs over to that one to run them (and try to dial in those settings).

It would be nice a) for it to be fixed, b) for them to tell us what happened and c) for them to institute something to prevent this kind of time suck from occurring again. I usually don’t post problems publicly and I usually figure it’s me & not the GFUI that’s causing problems so I burned a workday equivalent over the past two days dealing with the GF issues - if I were trying to use it to make a living I’d have to second guess that strategy because that level of variability in the availability of your tools can kill your productivity & your pofitability. I only reach out to see if others are having the same problem after I run out of internal options (like when nothing new works even a new simple box :slight_smile:); then I turn to the forum because I figure it’s possibly not me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It pretty much feels like they are using Illustrator as the basis/foundation for design/file interpretation. If I were Adobe, I’d be looking at putting together something like their Lightroom / Photoshop photographer package ($9.99/mo) but for Glowforge users.

1 Like

GF is probably too small potatoes for them, but hey, they’re fairly local to each other so maybe they’d support local business. :wink:

And only Illustrator in its default configuration - if the fill rule is the issue, you can have both in AI files, just that requires some work in the file to implement. I suspect Photoshop and Fusion 360 files will also exhibit the same problem due to their support of the fill rules.

Yes, just mentioned in the other thread - you have to go out your way in Illustrator to define evenodd (hidden in the attribute window).

But if you do some of your work in Photoshop and then import into Illustrator you’ll likely end up with paths that use the even-odd rule because that’s what Photoshop uses by default for all of its vector operations. (Or at least it did the last time I used Photoshop. It’s been a while, but I doubt they’ve changed it.)

yep, just saw that :smile: And apparently they did something that may have fixed it.

Yeah, they appear to have rolled back to a previous version. Or at least fill rules “work” the same way they did before. (That is, they’re completely ignored and the non-zero rule is always used no matter what, rather than rejecting files that use the even-odd rule.)

1 Like

I hate that. I’m hoping my suggestion that they let us know what happened vs just closing after confirming it’s not broken anymore is taken to heart. It’s extremely frustrating to know whether we can put this behind us or if we need to worry that it’s going to happen again. If it’s likely to happen again, then next time I’ll not waste so much time trying to fix it on my own and if it isn’t then I know I have to do my own due diligence before raising the issue to them.

2 Likes

This just happened to me. I was doing some testing with a simple rectangle. I had already cut several of them and then was changing settings to do a score. Got three scores done and set it up to do a fourth one and got the error. Closed the browser, reloaded the stupid rectangle and got the same error…like another 4-5 times.

Damn it :-/ Thought it was fixed. If it continues you may want to open a new ticket so support sees it still may be happening.

2 Likes

Mine is working again, now. I shut the machine off, then back on. So far, so good. But, it was still very weird.

1 Like

Mine is working now again.

Support can close this unless they want to let us know what happened and what they did.