Update to the update: We'll sell replacement tubes (discussion)

I was going to play the ‘I have an abacus’ card, but I have no desire to win this competition lol. 386 DX-40 was the first computer I really used. I think it was a 20 when we got it but I had to upgrade so I could play star control

1 Like

I had one but it was more of a desk decoration than anything I really used. I still have my sliderule though. Really good for training you to estimate the answer so you don’t fall into the trap of “but the computer says the answer is” because you fat fingered something into a program or spreadsheet. Too bad they don’t still teach sliderule use to kids now.

2 Likes

So many skills they don’t give us anymore. I need to pick up a slide rule and learn to use it

Still have a PDP11 http://hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/tektronix-8560-still-going-strong.html but not for long as I need the space.

16 Likes

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS (Trash) 80.
I’ll bet the kids today don’t even know what a slide rule is. Mine was circular. 3.14 times more accurate.

12 Likes

Which brings us to Happy Pi Day!

6 Likes

First calculator was an SR-10. “SR” for slide rule. That square root button was truly magical.
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/assets/images/TISR10A_1.jpg
I was the last class in HS to have to use slide rules on physics exams. Calculators weren’t allowed.

10 Likes

Wow! Haven’t seen one of those in forever. I had one of those and an HP with a politically incorrect entry method.

4 Likes

I tried to respond with “RPN” but Discourse told me my response was too short!

2 Likes

Yep. My wife is Polish but doesn’t understand how it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Pretty sure I spied a classic RPN from HP peeking around the corner on @Jules desk in a post last week… :wink:

2 Likes

Our old accountant (and my good friends dad) was polish. I got him this:

Hahaha

12 Likes

Is there a second image? I saw a blurred one for a moment but now it is blank canvas.

1 Like

Was it supposed to be like the blurred text? I.e. click to reveal. It doesn’t seem to work in my browser: CyberFox.

1 Like

yeah its a spoiler hider. will reveal when clicked on.

Yes, you did, and I still use RPN. (Once you go RPN, you never go back.) :wink:

5 Likes

I used to write a lot of Forth so RPN seemed natural on a calculator.

1 Like

Of the many calculators I’ve owned, my HP 48G has always been my favorite. I can’t imagine not using RPN!

2 Likes

It’s all fine on a TI if you’re willing to use parentheses.

1 Like