Update to the update: We'll sell replacement tubes (discussion)

No.

1 Like

Yes, I agree the RPN is more elegant. But if yourā€™re just trying to punch in the long expression that youā€™ve just derived, sometimes itā€™s nicer not to have to dive down to find the deepest parenthetical clause.

RPN people think inside-out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Have to admit I love the older HP calculators but the Scientific RPN version is my favorite.

13 Likes

Yep! Mineā€™s the HP 35s Scientific. (Had an older one around here somewhereā€¦probably up in the craft room.)

Thatā€™s quite a collection! :grin:

2 Likes

Only part of it. Those were in one drawer. Iā€™ve got a problem.

11 Likes

Great mindsā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

My wife bought a 20S in college and thatā€™s the calculator I reach for. I like using it more than the more convenient one on my phone.

4 Likes

speaking of the calculator on smartphonesā€¦ Did you guys know, that the smartphone calculator does not work well when you try to dial phone numbers with it? I canā€™t even blame that on being old, Iā€™m only 40!

6 Likes

Did you try dialing 710.77345?

(just 379009 it)

3 Likes

Hahahaa!!

No, I had actually dialed the phone number to the conference call line at workā€¦ and sat there waiting for everyone else to join the call. I didnt realize I had used the calculator app until they called me direct to see if I was going to join the call. LOL!

4 Likes

I bought that calculator twice, the SX and then the GX, both times cost almost $300. It is free on my Android phoneā€¦

Itā€™s called Droid48 by Arnaud Brochard
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hp48gx&c=apps

4 Likes

So does anyone remember the polite term for RPN?

1 Like

I know weā€™re a small minority, but donā€™t forget about your international customers.
Bit hard to ship you the unit from Oz to replace a tube :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your Glowforge was designed with one. Itā€™s our CTOā€™s calculator of choice.

11 Likes

I scanned and did not see this asked, so pardon if itā€™s been brought up already:

Does the shipping cost include someone who knows what they are doing coming to my place and packaging it? Do we have to keep the crate it is shipped in?

1 Like

Postfix notation but I donā€™t think RPN is rude. It is the reverse of prefix notation which was called Polish notation because it was invented by a Pole.

2 Likes

Assume the first question was tongue in cheek. But no. And itā€™s a cardboard shipping box. So yes.

I still have my TI-89 from college. I had an 83 in high school I think. Lost my 89 when we moved from CA to WA, but thankfully when we moved again I found it! I still use it daily.

Yes, I realize it isnā€™t ā€œoldā€ like these other ones, but for me, its a piece of tech that has lasted far longer than any other. Iā€™ve had it sinceā€¦ 1997 I thinkā€¦ so 20 years.

1 Like

Just a few years earlier, the TI-59 was life changing for me. Programmable (in essentially machine language), docked to a printer, stored programs on magnetic cards. My first ā€œpersonal computer.ā€ I programmed the entire simplex algorithm for linear programming on one magnetic card.

Of course it was enormous. Those four foot long memory cards and three foot wide printouts really took up a lot of storage space. :wink:

7 Likes