Update to the update: We'll sell replacement tubes (discussion)

Makes sense. I hear lantern corps can use their light to create what ever they want as long as they’ve got the will and imagination to support it. Seems fitting.

4 Likes

It takes someone to remind us what we are all fighting for, then a leader to make it happen.

2 Likes

When we fight for our community, we fight for all. This is a noble goal.

1 Like

1000 Thanks @dan!!!
Great News!

3 Likes

6 Likes

I would feel better after all this knowing why the sudden decision to not make the tube user replaceable? “we can’t safely support that approach” Is this due to legal/liability reasons? Problems with the hardware design of the “drop-in kit” that could lead to equipment /installation failure? This doesn’t seem very transparent, and I feel because what we signed up for was an easy to replace at home part that we should be offered a bit deeper insight into why the sudden change. And surely you must have known that this tube replacement issue would be a bombshell to drop, if it only took a day to figure out that you could offer a replacement tube for optional “diy” install, why not better explore these options before making an announcement that would so obviously cause a mass uproar?

I am happy with the partial backtracking to allow us to purchase the “replacement part” but still none of us knows what is involved to replace the part ourselves or what happens if we need to replace the tube under warranty (ourselves). I am plenty tech savvy but am still apprehensive that the loophole might be sure, we’ll sell you the part but good luck getting it installed and calibrated without messing something up and either voiding the warranty or having to ship the unit back to the US regardless.
Just trying to understand what I am getting myself into if I follow through with my purchase…

10 Likes

Alright now someone with some photo shop skills needs to put Dan’s head in there. Might need to change the symbol. Maybe color. I’d try but id be better off with crayons or something that’s where my art skills stopped degeloping

4 Likes

Where abouts in Sydney? I’m in Forestville (over the Roseville Bridge). I might need some help on swapping tubes…

1 Like

@Dan and team - Thanks so very much for reconsidering this decision!

I think that the $499 service charge to replace the filter tube is reasonable, especially for those non-mechanical/electrical engineering purchasers. Given the third-hand assessments from some of the prerelease users, it’s likely a procedure that will take a non-trivial amount of time to perform and realign, regardless of your technical skill.

Edit: Whoopsie, I meant tube, not filter…

2 Likes

Oh the relief!
Thanks for addressing this @dan.
I was sooo freaked out yesterday as realisation dawned that I may actually have to cancel my order. I didn’t want to (I REALLY didn’t want to), but the realities were just winning my internal arguments with myself by a country mile.
Went to bed last night with a cup of tea and a Zopiclone (haven’t needed one of those for ages).
Then I woke up this morning and found that it had just been a terrible dream and all was well with the world (Hmm, might be overstating things a bit there).
Tonight, I think a glass or two of Fitou will do just nicely.

9 Likes

When I first that read the tube was user replaceable I imagined it mounted in some sort of cartridge so that it could come pre-aligned. This doesn’t seem to be the case when looking at pictures of Glowforges. Was this the plan and it got dropped?

Am I correct in thinking that glass tubes have some variability in their geometry such that you can’t just clamp one in the same position and expect it to be aligned? So will replacement involve some alignment?

2 Likes

I was really worried too - thank you @all who addressed this in the forum so heavly that @dan changed his mind! :blush: Eventhough I don’t write that much I read quite a lot (english is unfortunately not my 1st language…). It’s great to have so many good people on the forum! :thumbsup:

@dan thank you for taking the forum so seriously! Really appricated.

10 Likes

Thank you @Dan I feel much better now and will not be cancelling - like everyone else I should imagine! You nearly gave me a bloody heart attack yesterday! :relieved:

4 Likes

Thank you for the only positive comment about being an OS user! :smile:

2 Likes

Mine too! :+1:

Will we know how difficult it will be to replace the tube? As an OS user I just think the shipping would be ridiculously expensive and one of the reasons I decided on a glowforge was because the tube was going to be easily replaceable. Ordering a single part and slotting it in is vastly different taking apart my glow forge and then trying to realign a fragile glass tube.

Seriously I need to know whether I should cancel my order or not.

3 Likes

Sound ok to me.
But I kinda expect a super clear instructions video to be available for the DIYers.

I’d like to know more about this, too. And if so, how the invisible beam will be located. By making burn marks on tape, like the K40’s?

1 Like

I live in Koolewong, on the bay near Woy Woy

Because the US users will get theirs first we OS users will have time to see their experiences and make a call on whether it is worth keeping. You can cancel anytime as Glowforge will not send it without confirming your address first

3 Likes