Updated Material Test Template

Hello,

I made a bit more compact version with engraving power testing (not via bitmap) of the testing board if anyone wants
testing_board testing_board.zip (63.6 KB)

[EDIT] Last version here

26 Likes

Nice updates to a useful tool. Folks really should give calibration templates a try on new materials and then keep them next to their GF. They answer the ā€œwhat settings should I use questionā€ so much faster than posting to the forum.

6 Likes

Thanks and welcome.

2 Likes

It would be awesome if you added the kerf gauges to the edge of this design. Great work!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll gladly add anything to it if that can help !
Do you have an example of board testing for scores ?
I havenā€™t played with scores yet. I just know the theory about unfocusing it so the line appears a bit thicker and less deep unless we compensate with speed and power.

1 Like

Easy Kerf Gauges :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is compact

My bad dunno why i talked about Scores where you talked about kerf haha.
But scores test is something iā€™d like to add as well !

Aaaanyways ! The kerf testing is clever !
I added it. I removed the ā€œ4mm straight line flex cutā€ to give room to the circle kerf tester as itā€™s way more important in my opinion. I kept the flex testing but am not really convinced about there usefulnessā€¦

Although, there now is some duplicates with the circle kerf test. The 7, 6, 5 and 4mm ones are both in the vertical tester and in the matrix. I like the wider range of the vertical ones as well as the squares, but also love the matrix that offers more granularity.
Donā€™t know what to do yet about this so i keep it as is for now but let me know if you have better ideas :slight_smile:

Here is a ZIP with everything in it (i forgot the gradient PNG file on my prev post)
material_tester.zip (1.6 MB)

Here is the illustrator file :
testing_board.ai (1.6 MB) !

And a PNG preview :

[EDIT] Last version here

14 Likes

Well this should cover all testing options for sure! Thanks.

3 Likes

Woooh! Cool! Mahalo!

3 Likes

Thank you just got some new material today ill try it out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there a video anyone has made to show how the tester template is organized into its seperate jobs for the glowforge to cut/engrave/score/ext. I have only done a single type of job each item I have done. I am a newbie in the glowforge world and am trying to learn all i can. I know there is a lot I dont know yet but I am loving it so far.

5 Likes

There are basically only four variables. Cutting one pass with full power leaves only 2 variables with each species of wood, no matter what the job it is what cutting speed is best for that species of wood that is the main concern, so a set of tests per species kept as a reference can be used for any job and suggest alternatives as well,

I use this design as it uses the least amount of wood but it can be more obscure to figure out, larger test systems are more ā€œin your faceā€ but also use more wood. You can pick the style you are comfortable with and as you use more types of wood build a larger reference set and eventually barely need to refer to it.

6 Likes

I appreciate this a ton! Iā€™m new to a lot of this but trying to teach it to middle schoolers. This will help a great deal! Any other tips are welcome. I have this laser and a Ruida laser as well.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for providing the file, but iā€™m having a problem. I tried to upload the .svg file, but the Glowforge web software gives me an error about linked images: ā€œThe design has linked images. The linked images have been removed. To print images, you can use design software to embed the images when you save the file.ā€

Is there something Iā€™m missing?

1 Like

Yes i made a mistake on my first link.
On a post later i put a ZIP with the PNG file.

Here is an SVG that embeds the PNG to make it easier :slight_smile:
testing_board
(click the image to download the ZIP)

I canā€™t just put the SVG here, forum seems to remove embeded images from SVGs on upload :confused:

[EDIT] Last version here

17 Likes

Thank you! I made this today, and it came out perfectly. Just what I needed.

3 Likes

Sorry newā€¦ How do I work this to print properly on GFā€¦ How do I get each percentage to print correctly. Thank youā€¦

New to GFā€¦ How do I print these properly per materials per each percentageā€¦ Do I have to break this apart to print each set individually? Thank you

1 Like