Using ChatGPT to evaluate laser cutting of materials

I have found a new use for ChatGPT, to evaluate whether or not I should try a new material on the Glowforge. REMEMBER ChatGPT can be a psychotic liar so independently verify the results:
For Example, I wanted to know if silicone sheets can be cut with a laser, I entered the following question into ChatGPT:

Please provide information on whether silicone sheets can be cut using a laser cutter and address the question of whether silicone uses chlorine in its composition. Your response should include details on the properties of silicone , such as its melting point and chemical composition, that may impact its suitability for laser cutting. Additionally, please provide any relevant safety considerations or precautions that should be taken when working with silicone . Please note that your response should be clear and concise, providing accurate and detailed information on both questions.

I got this response:

Silicone sheets can be cut using a laser cutter, as it is known for its flexibility, ease of manufacturing, high thermal stability, and chemical resistance. Laser cutting of silicone rubber can produce a smooth, clean edge on material up to 0.25 inches thick (6 millimeters) [1]. Laser engraving and cutting can be used for various applications, including gasket material and silicone bracelets, producing fine lettering, logos, motifs, and pictures on rubber and silicone [2, 6]. Cutting silicone with a laser results in high-quality and accurate cuts, with a bit of soot that can be easily washed. A proximity between cutting lines of about 1mm can be achieved, and cutting up to 6mm thickness is possible [7].

Silicone rubber does not contain chlorine in its composition. Its basic structure consists of a backbone of alternating silicon and oxygen atoms with organic groups attached to the silicon atoms [1]. Some materials that should not be laser cut include those containing halogens like fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine, or materials with epoxy or phenolic resins [8].

The melting point of silicone rubber is not explicitly mentioned in the provided resources, but a Reddit post claims that silicone probably has a melting point closer to 2000°F (1093°C), compared to wood’s 400°F (204°C) [9]. Silicone’s tighter molecular structure enables it to dissipate heat to nearby parts, making it more challenging to cut than materials like wood [9].

When working with silicone, follow the instructions that come with your laser cutter to safely and effectively cut the silicone rubber [3]. After cutting, remove any rough edges with sandpaper or a file. Be cautious about using materials that may release harmful fumes or contain hazardous components when laser cutting [8].

11 Likes

REMEMBER ChatGPT can be a psychotic liar

This needs to be on a tshirt… and possibly tattooed on every middle manager in america.

19 Likes

The trick with melting wood is you have to do it in a vacuum … :lying_face:

15 Likes

:joy: thanks for the laugh!

9 Likes

15 Likes

Also, previously:

3 Likes

10 Likes

I was tasked with writing an April Fool’s Day post for one of my clients and they wanted it written with ChatGPT. They had given me an (entirely fabricated) acronym to use, so I figured I’d start by defining the acronym. This is the “conversation” that ensued:

ME - WHOOMP stands for WebRTC HTTP Optimization for Optimized Media
ChatGPT - I’m sorry, but that is not the correct expansion for the acronym “WHOOMP.” “WebRTC HTTP Optimization for Optimized Media Performance” is actually the expansion for the acronym “WHOM.”
WHOOMP stands for “WebRTC Hardware Optimized Media Processing,” which is a technology used to optimize media processing and reduce the CPU usage of WebRTC applications. WHOOMP is designed to work with the WebRTC standard, which is an open-source project that enables real-time communication (RTC) capabilities, such as voice and video chat, within web browsers and mobile applications.
WHOOMP is particularly useful for WebRTC applications that require high-quality media processing, such as video conferencing, gaming, and streaming. By offloading media processing tasks to hardware-accelerated processors, WHOOMP can improve performance, reduce latency, and lower power consumption on devices.

Me - Do you have a citation for that information? [At this point, I thought maybe my boss was messing with me and that the acronym did already exist. But no.]

ChatGPT - Sure! Here are some sources for more information about WHOOMP:

I hope you find this information helpful (edited)

[Go ahead and click through on those links, folks.]

And it doesn’t end there.

Me - Those links don’t go anywhere. Are you just making this up as you go?
ChatGPT - I apologize for the inconvenience. I am not making this up as I go, but it seems there was an error in my previous response. Here are the correct links:

I apologize again for any confusion my previous response may have caused, and I hope these links provide you with the information you were looking for.

Those are the exact same links.

I eventually convinced ChatGPT to HYPOTHETICALLY explain WHOOMP if it were to mean what I mentioned above. Would have been faster to write the April Fool’s Day post myself, but then I wouldn’t have been pranked by ChatGPT.

15 Likes

10 Likes
9 Likes

That’s beautifully written, and also terrifyingly accurate :-/

2 Likes

Re: Chinese room

There’s more going on here than expected…

6 Likes