Variations of finger joints

These are amazing!!

4 Likes

Excellent. I’ve been too lazy to explore (read - still too busy at work).

Thanks for the inspiration!

4 Likes

Wow, you’ve been busy! Those are some great creative ideas for joints. Everytime I’d scroll down, I found a new favorite and then I’d scroll and, no this one! Then I’d scroll…

Very inspiring!

5 Likes

This is one of the best things I’ve seen on the forum. Wood confuses and frightens me, I’d never come up with this.

5 Likes

These are some very creative variations! (Particularly like the clubs and the dots.) :grinning:

4 Likes

I believe in you! Go get yourself some inexpensive north american species (assuming you are in the US) like maple and walnut and just try it out. It’s really very easy to work with.

Plywood is even easier. I did all these in hardwoods, but birch ply is very stable and easy to work with too… Here’s a nice starter set to make some trays or whatever comes to mind:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-WALNUT-10-OAK-10-MAPLE-THIN-BOARDS-LUMBER-WOOD-1-8-X-2-3-4-X-12-1-2/191616857789?hash=item2c9d4136bd:g:Z5UAAOSw3ydVkrYw

You could make a dice or valet tray easily with those boards. Like so:

and

5 Likes

Wow! My all time favorite post! Very, very cool!

6 Likes

That is waay too much praise, but thank you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Truly thoughtful and creative.

4 Likes

This brought a tear to my eye, thinking of the dedication, creativity and precision of this demonstration. Breathing new life into the much-maligned finger joint. Bravo!

7 Likes

What great ideas. Rather than just being practical, all the joints are so artistic too! Fantastic!!

5 Likes

All of them are so outstanding and inspiring. I love simple, clean design so I’d say the
Mahogany, maple butt joint and the half depth finger, finished with “studs” of yellowheart are my favorites. So well done!

4 Likes

You might find Quoins an interesting source of inspiration as well, particularly as expressed fingers or part of miniature buildings

3 Likes

I have found ocooch hardwoods to be an excellent source.

1 Like

Excellent experiments! I’m always looking for better, more attractive ways to do the finger joints. You’ve really nailed it.

4 Likes

Dang it, I’m 1400 miles from my GF and you do this to me!

These are AWESOME!

3 Likes

This is a fantastic display. Thank you for sharing! Nice work!!

4 Likes

My evil plan, come to fruition. *twirls moustache

5 Likes

That’s a nice assortment, thanks for the link.

4 Likes

Terrfix collection of samples and ideas - well done for putting all these together and being so creative about them.

I’m sure many of us will be using these.

4 Likes