Variations of finger joints

Outstanding joinery!

3 Likes

These are amazing!!

4 Likes

Excellent. Iā€™ve been too lazy to explore (read - still too busy at work).

Thanks for the inspiration!

4 Likes

Wow, youā€™ve been busy! Those are some great creative ideas for joints. Everytime Iā€™d scroll down, I found a new favorite and then Iā€™d scroll and, no this one! Then Iā€™d scrollā€¦

Very inspiring!

5 Likes

This is one of the best things Iā€™ve seen on the forum. Wood confuses and frightens me, Iā€™d never come up with this.

5 Likes

These are some very creative variations! (Particularly like the clubs and the dots.) :grinning:

4 Likes

I believe in you! Go get yourself some inexpensive north american species (assuming you are in the US) like maple and walnut and just try it out. Itā€™s really very easy to work with.

Plywood is even easier. I did all these in hardwoods, but birch ply is very stable and easy to work with tooā€¦ Hereā€™s a nice starter set to make some trays or whatever comes to mind:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-WALNUT-10-OAK-10-MAPLE-THIN-BOARDS-LUMBER-WOOD-1-8-X-2-3-4-X-12-1-2/191616857789?hash=item2c9d4136bd:g:Z5UAAOSw3ydVkrYw

You could make a dice or valet tray easily with those boards. Like so:

and

5 Likes

Wow! My all time favorite post! Very, very cool!

6 Likes

That is waay too much praise, but thank you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Truly thoughtful and creative.

4 Likes

This brought a tear to my eye, thinking of the dedication, creativity and precision of this demonstration. Breathing new life into the much-maligned finger joint. Bravo!

7 Likes

What great ideas. Rather than just being practical, all the joints are so artistic too! Fantastic!!

5 Likes

All of them are so outstanding and inspiring. I love simple, clean design so Iā€™d say the
Mahogany, maple butt joint and the half depth finger, finished with ā€œstudsā€ of yellowheart are my favorites. So well done!

4 Likes

You might find Quoins an interesting source of inspiration as well, particularly as expressed fingers or part of miniature buildings

3 Likes

I have found ocooch hardwoods to be an excellent source.

1 Like

Excellent experiments! Iā€™m always looking for better, more attractive ways to do the finger joints. Youā€™ve really nailed it.

4 Likes

Dang it, Iā€™m 1400 miles from my GF and you do this to me!

These are AWESOME!

3 Likes

This is a fantastic display. Thank you for sharing! Nice work!!

4 Likes

My evil plan, come to fruition. *twirls moustache

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice assortment, thanks for the link.

4 Likes