Variations of finger joints

Wowee wow! I must have been on a very extended lunch break or something when you posted this. These are so stunning! Your abilities are over the top.

2 Likes

Sure, I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. Just post them here like @geek2nurse suggested.

2 Likes

Really inspiring work guys. Here’s some more inspiration after you all got me searching: “Japanese Joinery” https://thejoinery.jp & http://bit.ly/2QUedNu although with the angles I guess not all will be possible on the :glowforge:

3 Likes

That second link is all kinds of awesome!

It’s been a while…has anyone come up with any new finger joint types to add?

#necrogame

1 Like

Your gap-toothed variant on the mastermind set still makes me furious that I didn’t think of it :wink:

4 Likes

OK, so finger joints are just too practical because they align the corner. I do not use them because I don’t like glue; I like glue - it works.
Glowforgers have gotten so that they think the only way to join material is with a finger joint. But classic finger joints are sooo boring., & you have addressed that. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

My experience is that they are way stronger, I like the look of small finger joints over big ones, though on end grain they can be very small side grain can have problems.

1 Like

wow! Just WOW! This is amazing work! And thanks for sharing your design process!

2 Likes

Yes, they are way stronger for sure. I guess that the casual ease with which one can finger joint a corner kind of irritates me from the wood joinery point of view & that is just snobbishness on my part I know.

For example, I have built numerous cabinets and never dovetailed a drawer. Modern wood glues are so good that a dovetail joint for a drawer is superfluous for strength. but man does it scream craftmanship. If I build a dovetailed drawer it will be done with hand tools in the traditional way and not with a router. Snobby huh? I know.

The glowforged charred edges just beg me to cut them extra long and sand then clean :grin:

Please do not let my utopian views dissuade anyone from finger jointing a corner - I do it myself LOL

3 Likes

Like this?

I go back and forth depending if I like the effect in the design
In this case it worked with the other engraved bits…

2 Likes

That is what I’m talkin’ about! Nice work.

1 Like

For plywood solidly dark finger joints add to the design and make that plywood edge less obvious,

7 Likes

Ahhh, now that i like. The char gives added expression that suits the overall.

1 Like

The great thing with plywood is that all the fingers are way stronger. Try that on the edge of solid wood and the fingers would be falling off.

2 Likes

I did and they didn’t :slight_smile:

It’s all about grain direction and working carefully.

2 Likes

It is about the edge grain, do it on the end grain and thin is great.

1 Like

Wow!! If I could just figure out what to do in your first image I’d be elated!

1 Like

This one?

3 Likes

It’d be cool to see all of these as complete boxes. Some really nice looking joints there!

1 Like