Warranty

I’m not spinning. This is spelled out in English and says nothing about 1 unit affecting another unit’s warranty…
“6 months from the original date of shipment to the purchaser”

your warranty replacement wasn’t the original shipment. :wink:

Of course it was. It was never shipped to me before it was shipped to me. So it was the original shipment.
Sure, there was a previous unit. That also had an original date of shipment. Also, my 3rd unit had an original date of shipment.

now THAT is spin.

It’s no spin. It’s just how English works.
I mean… Seriously… Do you agree that each unit had an original date of shipment? I think you can agree. Because it’s true. And that’s the way their lawyers wrote it. So that’s what they meant. It’s clear. In no way does it reference the original date of shipment of some other unit having anything to do with with the original date of shipment of other units. By your logic, everybody’s warranty began when the 1st unit was shipped to the first person. Right?

And here’s a thing… What if I order a second unit later this year? Would that have no warranty at all because I received a previous unit? Of course it wouldn’t mean that. Because the unit itself should be what’s warrantied.

I’m in no way trying to be some sort of jerk here. I’ve read what they’ve written and it appears to have been spelled out clearly (as it should be). If they wanted it to say something like “…from the unit’s shipment per purchase…” or something… (I really can’t even think of how you’d write that.) But my point is, if they wanted it to say something like that, then that’s what they would have written. But they didn’t. They wrote what they wrote. I wouldn’t presume to think they “meant” something else. I mean, lawyers are known the be very specific about how they write things so that there is no interpretation. So here we are… with what they wrote and meant.

The warranty started when the first unit was shipped. (the first serial number) Every other unit afterwards warranty expires from the date of the first units serial original warranty expiration date.

I.e. Unit serial number 0001 fails 2 months in. And unit number two serial number 0012 was shipped as an RMA. Unit two warranty ends when the first shipping unit (serial number 0001) original warranty ends.

In some cases, RMAs can have a 30-day workmanship warranty (in case the RMA happens close to the end of the first units serial was shipped) but after the 30 days, you are on your own as now you expired from the first units serial number original warranty has expired.

Standard SOP for all things with warrenties. Unless you get some kind of PPP (Product Protection Plan) on top of the existing warrenty.

3 Likes

you’re interpreting to get the outcome you want.

the first unit was the original date of shipment of your order to you. the warranty unit was a “subsequent” date of shipment on the same warranty. that warranty unit can’t be the original for your order because there was already an original shipment.

everyone has their own “original shipment.” each person’s order is its own order with its own warranty.

if you buy a second unit, that’s a completely separate warranty. the original machine you purchased would be irrelevant.

you’re not going to outsmart the FNLs. but i’ll let you argue it with them if you think it will be fruitful.

1 Like

And here we are back to this… I’m saying the “order” has no warranty… the unit does. So that means every unit does. Unless it states somewhere that replacement units continue their warranty from the previous unit (or some such language). If it does, great. It’s covered. But otherwise, all units have the same warranty.

So… What would you do with the instructions on a shampoo bottle?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

skeletonshowertop

4 Likes

again, we won’t agree on that. and i doubt GF will agree with you, either. but you can make that case to them and see what happens.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Ignore them. It’s a trap.

1 Like

I’m betting the FNLs have a snappy comeback, if and when. :sunglasses:

This Limited Warranty covers the Basic Model and the Air Filter for 6 months from the original date of shipment to the purchaser, and the Pro Model for 12 months from the original date of shipment to the purchaser.

But here’s what they say…
“Glowforge warrants the hardware and accessories included in the original packaging (but excluding spare parts) against defects in materials and workmanship”

It doesn’t say “the order.” It says “the hardware.”

Again, these are not my words. But it seems very clear to me. I don’t see how you disagree.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

i’m just unexplainable.

and it’s just how nearly every warranty ever works. not sure why we should expect GF to work differently.

1 Like

We disagree because no warranty in the history of warranties works the way you’re interpreting it. If you found an ambiguity in the words they use, that’s all it is. I’d bet anything that the intention of the warranty, and the one Glowforge is going to honor, is from the original shipment of the original Glowforge. It doesn’t matter how many replacements you get, they are only covered for the remaining time of your original unit’s warranty.

It’s also not clear what you’re trying to accomplish. Either you think that Glowforge intended for replacement units to have their own full warranty period, or you think they made a mistake and you’re going to get them to give you more warranty time on some kind of technicality. Both of these possibilities seem extraordinarily unlikely.

Are you sure you don’t work for Google? These sort of endless wordsmithing debates are a way of life here. As someone put it the other day after 15 minutes of back and forth on a loophole in the way the promotion process was documented, “we sure love to unit-test the rules”.

2 Likes

At this point he’s just punking y’all.

4 Likes

I think you may have misread the original post. I want to accomplish getting (actual) answers to those questions.

Subsequently I’ll want to put my unit through its paces before the warranty on the unit expires. For example, I’ve purposefully avoided the front-right corner. I’ll want to make sure everything works there while I still have a warranty. Accuracy seems quite good, so I think I’m okay there. I’ve seen a couple of people having issue with the right side in general (not just the front right corner), so I think I should test that, too. Doors close fine, I’d say. Trying to think of anything else I’d want to prove working before my warranty expires.

1 Like

It also says “in the original packaging” and I doubt they ship back an RMA in the original packaging… :stuck_out_tongue:

By a literal interpretation I’m coming to the conclusion any replacement units are complete uncovered by warranty. And I doubt that’s what you want.

Also, it’s not exactly unprecedented that Glowforge redefines words and phrases to mean what they want, soooo… yeah. @dan @Rita one of you want to weigh in on this debate about warranty coverage?