Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts… but how does the bottom fit in?
Yup… It’s in the comments here:
TL;dr; it’s glue.
That is what I thought! I always hated the look of finger jointed bottoms so I try to do dados for any of my box bottoms
Too much labor for a tray this small. They just don’t need that kind of structural stability at this scale. The sides have no handles, when you pick it up, you hold it from the bottom. The glue is plenty strong for its intended use. Now, if the recipients stack them and use them as a stepping stool, things are going to go sideways, but that’s on them.
100% understand! My dice boxes have 3/8 to half inch thick walls so they are a little easier to work a dado into. I do it pretty much just so I can use cheaper fiber board material. I am covering it with felt anyways so it makes sense for what I was doing
Wow! The finished products are gorgeous.
Happy accidents. Look what happens when you stack them:
And if you put the top one on the bottom instead you get this:
That is unexpectedly pleasing.
That’s so awesome I’m not sure I could articulate it any better if I tried…
That’s awesome! What happens if you flip the one on top, so the two tops of the trays meet in the middle?
Yes, incredibly pleasing.
Think I need a set of those.
Stacking several boxes could make an incredibly stunning hobby caddy, sewing kit or tool box.
Just don’t stand on them… because the bottoms are glued on.
I would have thought straight down but have been wrong before, though it is that lateral (like angle iron) stability of the joint I would be looking for like someone silly enough to try and force a 6,75 inch thing in the middle or have them packed upon their sides and then put a heavy load on the box above trying to force them to a parallelogram. All odd or rare events but for a thing of beauty to last a thousand years odd and rare events happen. we already know termites would break their teeth on it
A set of trays that awesome should provide joy for a thousand years.
Funny that you bring this up:
I screwed one of these trays up and glued a side in upside down. I hadn’t put the base in yet and decided that the entire thing was blown, so I had nothing to lose by trying to force the corners apart. The glue was titebond classic and it was probably 45 minutes set — maybe not fully cured but pretty well set.
It took a good bit of force to get the joints apart. Amazingly the wood was undamaged in the process. I think I got lucky, if I’d waited longer or only noticed after I’d glued the base in I think I’d never have gotten it apart without a hammer and splintered wood.