Weather and the filter hose out the window

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

1 Like

I would just add that the flexible dryer style tubes generate a lot of turbulence and present higher back pressure then smooth rigid tube with bends. If you are confident of the location not changing it might be worth while to install 4" metal tube for as much of the run as possible. It will also be quieterā€¦

10 Likes

Do you think non-metal would work, or are the temps and possibility of embers too high?

Iā€™ve raised this question of ignited bits getting into the exhaust, and it was met with stoney silence from the GF staff and the entire forum community.

1 Like

I would think the embers would not burn hot enough or long enough to hurt plastic piping. What embers Iā€™ve seen in a laser cutter are very small and short lived. But thatā€™s just my very limited exposure. Someone with more experience could probably give a better feel.

@paulw I personally would not worry about what the tube is made of. That said, standard rigid aluminum dryer pipe is probably the cheapest option.

Unless you happen to have a bunch of schedule 40 pvc and woodshop dust-collection hose lying around from other projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll still be using this.

• Tom
1 Like

Iā€™ve got plastic hose going from the 40 & 60W machines. Iā€™ve never had a burning ember get into the exhaust - even if I hadnā€™t noticed and it didnā€™t start the hose on fire it would have burned some kind of hole which would leak air and thatā€™s not happened.

Canā€™t say it canā€™t, but even with regular use it hasnā€™t for me.

YMMV

3 Likes

I must have missed it. I donā€™t know the answer, though, Iā€™m afraid.

2 Likes

I think if you do some thinking you can probably reach a safe conclusion on your own.
PVC pipe is probably the only practical alternative to a Aluminum or galvanized pipe, or the thin Aluminum flexible hoses. I canā€™t imagine being able to accidentally set it on fire, given the size of the embers likely to come out a laser cutter, and the amount of air blasting though it while in use. But your imagination may be better then mine. :slight_smile:

The simple way to look at this is from a practical stand point what does it make the most sense to make an exhaust tube out of. Since the rigid Aluminum tubes are actually cheaper than plastic, that is one point in their favor. Then look at how easy it is to construct what you need, and given the variety of special purpose metal components built for dryer (or other) venting, that is another benefit for metal. Finally from a safety perspective using a metal tube simply means that the fire hazard question goes away.

For me those three factors make the decision pretty easy.

7 Likes

My original concern was directed more at what would happen if burning bits were blown into the air filter.

1 Like

I ordered this window vent. Itā€™s really nicely made, and I also added hard foam insulation to it. the inside is exposed, so you can get it in there.

Window Dryer Vent (Adjusts 24 Inch Through 36 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M17V4CO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_zT812iKEAMxbC

I also used the screw-tightened claps at each end of the hose

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing to this solution! I got my GF yesterday and my #1 problem is venting before I start!

Youā€™re very welcome! Iā€™m glad it helped! I was happy to point to it once I received it. Coincidentally, theyā€™re made in my home state, so Iā€™m happy to promote their product. :blush: