What about using with a phone set as a wifi hotspot?

So… had two IT guys in my lab today. They have so many filters and stuff with their wifi setups that we were not able to get it to work.

If I run it off the hot spot on my cell phone, is there any issue?

I want to prove to them that the device is fine and that the multiple layers of security like Iboss etc are keeping me from enjoying the Glowforge.

Thanks.

Mike

2 Likes

I don’t use my phone but I use a dedicated MiFi hotspot - close to the same thing/concept though. Works fine!

Good to know. I have a mifi, but I do not have much data on it… I have unlimited on my phone… Thanks tons. At a minimum I have a plan for tomorrow to try and get my “guru” buds to find a fix. They were wearing me out today as we tried to get it online. Had me wishing there were a USB port so at least we had options…

Just FYI - it depends on what firmware version is loaded from the factory, but it might need to update to have the enterprise security protocols available. For it to update though, it’ll need to be connected through a basic WPA/WEP/Open connection (i.e your hotspot).

I blow through my MIFi data fast (not bc of the Glowforge). It’s an “unlimited” plan but after 15gb Verizon throttles it to 600KB. Takes a little longer to download the motion plans, but still very usable.

1 Like

I have used the hotspot feature ever since I started, have not had any issues as of yet. I have also used my GF and Xcarve at the same time both require internet connection (if I’m using easel on the xcarve). That being said I am still pursuing something better such as a small point to point system because there have been days when the cell service is just crap.

1 Like

It can be done, but setup can be a tad tricky. Best practice seems to be setting up your hot spot and using a 2nd device (laptop, tablet, etc.) to run the setup routine.

4 Likes

That is where I am at right now. I need to use non school devices as their stuff is so locked down with filters and firewalls. I am weary of it all at the moment.

1 Like

We used to have that problem where I used to work. We ended up adding a guest WiFi AP. It connected to the wired network and the IT guys set up to be isolated from our internal wired/wireless networks.

have run it off my verizon iPhone hotspot flawlessly

=) Current using my phone as a hotspot. Have it totally open and am using a separate phone for the sign in and connecting. I made it all the way to the select a wifi hotspot screen. When I chose the school wifi they want me on… it stuck on the what looked like the final connecting screen. I cannot have my phone running a open hotspot though as kids would always be trying to connect as well… WPA is not a issue with it? right?

You do not need to have an open network. Your Glowforge requires Wi-Fi using 2.4 GHz b/g/n and WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WEP, or open security.

Your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet you are using to print.

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

I have done 2 events on my phone as a hotspot. I had more trouble with my computer staying connected to the hotspot than the glowforge. If you have the data and a good signal, this may be a viable option.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen. I am thinking my phone is putting out a 5ghz hotspot. Our school is all 5ghz, so does that mean I will never be able to get it on their network?

I have an older freedompop hotspot that I will try now. I am guessing it puts out a 2.4 ghz network.

I was working through the steps again this morning and using the school stuff and my hot spot and was able to get my glowforge to show up, but when I tried to connect it said “cannot connect to this network”. I was going to post a image of it… but your explanation sounds like what I am working with.

Will keep you posted as I give the 2.4 ghz a whirl

That’s correct. The GF is 2.4 gHz only. See Glowforge - the 3D laser printer

2 Likes

Looks like my S9 can broadcast in 2.4ghz so I am trying that. I have unlimited data there and not on the old hotspot. Any idea if there is a ideal channel for the GF?

Also, if I power it down does it clear all the attempts that have been tried. Our school has 4 networks and I have tried 3 physical hotspots and 2 phones… My poor glowforge may be dizzy from all the options! =)

1 Like

Trying a couple of other devices to connect. Both galaxy S3s, When I use the built in browser they both give a 308 permanent re-direct. Is there a preferred browser for this process?

They shut off the heat here on the weekends. Current temp is about 62… if I do get this connected, is that warm enough to run it?

1 Like

Should be fine.

Recommended Operating Temperature: 60F-75F (16C-24C) Basic and Plus; 60F-81F (16C-27C) Pro

But I know folks have run it consistently in the 50s.

Thanks. I am still not able to get it to connect. I see the glowforge adhoc wifi appear. Click it… no joy on the web application so I can permanently choose my hotspot. Think I will take a break and try again tomorrow.

Are you in airplane mode?

Load up the setup page
Turn on airplane mode
Connect to GF WiFi and go from there

A lot of times devices aren’t happy connecting to a WiFi that doesn’t have external internet access, so it will show you are connected, but behind the scenes it is trying to load things with your cell/data connection, which interferes with the local operations of set up. Turning on airplane mode turns off your device cell radio so it’s only using the WiFi / local connection.

1 Like