What did you get done today?

Which is why folks get Koi. Depending on where you live deep water will near the temp of the earth especially with lots of deep rocks. Alternatively, there is the manatee solution of a warm spring (caused by a fish tank heater) in a limited part of the pond will have the fish congregate there as needed. If all can’t fit in the shed it would be a way for a second experiment. (other manatee solutions frowned upon as there are too few manatees to spare one to put in solution :wink:)

We have koi also, just not enough to keep up with the Spring growth. Plus, the tilapia spawning is good for the bass.

I’ve considered the “warm corner” solution, but I’d need to expend a lot more energy to do that over a tank of water in an insulated room.

5 Likes

I am looking forward to trying them from clean water. The ones from the pond aren’t as good as I expected. :wink:

3 Likes

There is also…

I would guess that some of the Chinese varieties would take more cold than Tilapia.

Also a friend made his pond a waterfall that pulled water through the sand like in an aquarium and made for very clear water.

2 Likes

Well, by “pond”, I don’t mean a little corner of my backyard. This is 1/4 acre of water. Adding a waterfall might be more trouble than it’s worth. :wink: Lol

2 Likes

Perhaps a little corner of your pond? Quite a bit larger than any backyard I have had. At that point, it becomes a pake, or perhaps a lond :grin:

2 Likes

I’m leaving that up to Alan, my dad’s partner in the fish business. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Grass carp are good for the algae too, if you can get them.

2 Likes

Tilapia need it to be like 80ºF, though. They’re VERY warm water fish, hence the need for a hot water well to overwinter them, even in Texas.

I brought a couple of pairs indoors one time and wintered them in a 55 gal tank. It was a lot of fun to watch the males building their nests, checking out the other guy’s nest, and trying to woo the females. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have at least one grass carp, but he’s good sized (24in or so) and I’ve read they become less effective at maintaining algae the bigger they get. The smaller ones will eat algae, but the bigger ones go for more substantial vegetation. I added two or three small grass carp this spring, but I know that I lost at least one.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is our “forever” house (until we’re ready for a condo in Florida :wink: ).

The house met her requirements and the land and pond met mine.

Here’s a snapshot of the pond (lond?) after a late snow last Spring.

16 Likes

Yes. I did cut it into a couple of big pieces so I could fit them into a 2 gallon bag to cure. Then after smoking and cooling off, back to the fridge to get cold because it’s easier to slice.

Only 18513 steps today. But a lot of those were stairs because the power was out and elevators were off for a while.

3 Likes

have you got a source I can refer to so I don’t screw that up. :slight_smile:
gotta smoke a brisket this weekend. so making plans for NEXT weekend :wink:

4 Likes

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

This is my cure, but I smoke it. So smoke at 200-225, until the belly is 150.

Make sure you have a week to cure in the fridge before smoking.

1 Like

I’m working on a raven light bulb holder for Halloween today!

13 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

4 Likes

I got myself shot today so I should be flu free this winter. Sitting waiting for the short bus a woman came in on crutches, and I know from experience they are very hard on your armpits so extra padding was desired. What this woman had was that the extra padding were reindeer, like she was carrying them under each arm’

Not much to do for the Glowforge, but I know the sewists here could go all sorts of places with the concept, and those needing to recover to walk again could be having all sorts of furry friends making their spirits as well as their shoulders a lot better :grin:

7 Likes

oh ya I have been on crutches. working to avoid that for sure going forward. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That could almost make it fun, not quite but almost.

1 Like