What do I do with this?

Upstairs = possibly good views and windows to vent through.
Downside is negotiating any turns you have en route.
We have the advantages of a bungalow set in 1.5 acres grass, so no neighbour problems, (neighbour is step-daughter) but no view from the garage !
Amazingly (for me) SWMBO is already suggesting a new window in the garage !
Possible view of passing deer and turkeys, with backdrop of pine trees, but at least it’s a view.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That sounds great! I don’t have any views from my office except for my backyard and the neighborhood. But since my office is longish and narrowish, the GF will vent through the window very easily, maybe 2’ max. I’ll post pics of the exhaust panel setup soon!

Good call. Waking her could be a greater risk to your well-being, if she’s like some people I know!

1 Like

You Dance! :dancing_men::dancing_women::man_dancing::dancer:

3 Likes

Ok, I set it up on the floor table!

And it works! Just need to learn how to use the webapp effectively.

6 Likes

Good one…

You’ll get a feeling for what the different power and speed combos will do. In the meantime, you can search for “material type” settings and you’ll probably come up with something. Or, you can lie and say that it’s a similar proofgrade. Then, go to the operations on the left. Change those from the Proofgrade designator to manual and it will show you what the Proofgrade settings are. At least from there you can ballpark what is needed for different types of material.

1 Like

perfect.

1 Like

The only issue I have now is with the horrendous smell. It’s definitely venting outside, but man it smells bad in here still. The other issue I have (unrelated to GF) is that the Foobot lights up orange, but the phone app doesn’t seem to give realtime data so it’s way behind. I’ll have to figure something out here because I can’t run this thing as it is.

Maybe I’ve skipped a few (thousand) forum posts, is the burning room smell normal?

Got mine on Wednesday and the BF helped me set it up and print the Founders Ruler.

Once it was done, he handed it me and said “Congrats on the most expensive ruler you will ever own.”

Of course, he had mucked with it in the app and made it too large so i need to reprint it now.

3 Likes

There is always some residual smoke left in the unit that escapes after lifting the lid. But just for FYI… I would bet 3 out of 4 folks thought they had a tight fitting vent. Then they run the GF and find there is a strong smell caused by incredibly small leaks where the vent hose meets the GF unit or where the vent hose connects to a window or external vent. Needs foil tape to seal good.

4 Likes

I have a two foot shot straight out the wall. Used foil tape on the flex tube end points. No smells.
A small wisp now and again after a cut if I am in too big a hurry, but the Wife has not complained and she can smell a cat farting in the next yard, so…

It can be done.

4 Likes

That’s how satellites get crashed in space!

Ok, I’ll do that, then. I was not very impressed with the super short vent connection in the back of the GF. There was almost no surface area there.

Got pics of how you did the foil tape? Oh nm, I can use search. :slight_smile:

Most of the smell winds up deposited on the masking too…remove that as soon as the job is done and stick it in a ziploc bag. Cuts way down on the smell.

2 Likes

I bought this. It is a two pack so one on each end of the run. The foil was only needed on the flex hose end, the band straps made them tight to back of the Glowforge.
https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Dust-Right-Ports-2-Pack/dp/B0025AC6MI/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515005988&sr=1-6&keywords=rockler+dust

Great, thank you! I saw that you said two-pack, but the description says one, so I ordered two and will just return one if necessary. Gotta love free dropoffs for Amazon returns!

“No smells…it can be done.”

Thank you @brokendrum exactly what I nead to hear!

And just to be clear in case anyone else is worried, it’s not bad, just noticable.

1 Like