What is your best cold/flu remedy?

Lol sleep is good! And if whining to the dogs make you feel better. :wink: then go for itā€¦

4 Likes

Fortunately, I was able to do fairly well on the sleeping part. We donā€™t have dogs anymore, too many bad neighbors. :disappointed: Our feral cat would be attentive for the duration of the meal though. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Hah! Iā€™m just coming down with it myself.

1st remedy - Grog. I boil half a lemon, half an orange, and 2" of ginger (all sliced with skins on) in 4c of water. I simmer for about 10 minutes, scoop a mug out, add a shot of spiced rum, honey to taste. And drink a lot of that.

2nd remedy thatā€™s new to me - Umcka. Itā€™s a tincture of the Pelargonium sidoides with Drug Facts (tough to get) and is clinically proven to shorten the duration and severity. Some Germans recommended it to my friendā€™s parents while they were abroad, and he passed it along.

2 Likes

I had to quit coffee and move across country to quit smoking 10.5 years ago (all my old friends still smoke). Hopefully your measures were less drastic!

7 Likes

hahaha, I spend quite a bit of time as a Pirate and hanging out with other Pirates. We had a local bar for years that would serve Grog. And it was QUITE different than the one you mentioned. There were 4 or 5 different rums in it, something called Flarenum (also all alcohol) and ice. The ice was the only thing that wasnā€™t alcohol in the whole drink. Not sure that it would help a cold, but it would help you forget you had one!

7 Likes

I hope you donā€™t get hammered by the sickness, getting hammered by the grog on the other hand sounds like fun! Iā€™ll have to look for some of the Umcka, sounds like it some interesting properties.

2 Likes

iā€™m trying to be polite and not call out too many of the woo claims in here, but i thought you should know that even the company that makes cold-fx says it canā€™t treat symptoms that are already there. instead, they want you to buy it and take it every day even when you arenā€™t sick, haha:

But according to Valeant Canadaā€™s vice-president of medical and regulatory affairs, you must take it for a minimum of eight weeks ā€“ two whole months ā€“ before any potential benefit kicks in. The optimal duration for a healthy adult is four months. For seniors, that increases to six months.

ā€œWe cannot argue that Cold-FX can be used to treat symptoms that are already there,ā€ said Maxime Barakat. ā€œWe recommend a chronic usage.ā€

Thatā€™s right: In order to experience any positive effects, according to the research behind Cold-FX, you need to take capsules twice daily for months on end. At approximately $60 for 150 capsules, that can quickly add up to several hundred dollars per year.

This seems like important information that you should see somewhere on a Cold-FX product label, on the productā€™s website or even in the fine print of advertisements. But you wonā€™t find it there.

4 Likes

I read that too - but from experience - I feel like it works wonders. Might be a placebo effect but I totally believe it. I told my co-worker who didnā€™t believe it at all but - it doesnā€™t hurt to try especially he was so sick. He took it and he was all better in 2 days.

2 Likes

My mom had a cold/flu remedy that was orange juice with goldenseal, turmeric, lemon, cayenne, ginger, and chunks of garlic.

My dad and I joked that we got better more quickly to avoid having to drink any more of that horrible stuff.

14 Likes

Maybe it was a ploy to have him not complain about being sickā€¦lol

4 Likes

haha. the big problem of course is the transient nature of disease. like a lot of the garbage homeopathy cures on the shelves say to take 8-10 days for a cold and youā€™ll feel better. no, really?

5 Likes

Because of that ā€˜remedyā€™ it took me yearsā€¦ no, decades to be able to enjoy garlic.

I find it interesting how peopleā€™s perception of flavors can be affected by experience. To avoid using commercial chemicals on my head, my mom washed my hair with vinegar when I got head-lice as a child. It worked to get rid of the lice, but it stung my eyes and noseā€¦ and I am still turned off by the smell of vinegar, but at least now I can enjoy it in foods.

When some French friends came to the US to visit a while back, they were disgusted by rootbeer. They said it tasted like medicine. Apparently there is a medication that is common in France that tastes like rootbeer, so they immediately associated it with going to the doctor and being sick. Being sick doesnā€™t taste good.

11 Likes

When I was a kid, I had a bad reaction to something and was covered with hives. All I could eat was soft stuff like rice pudding and my mom make a rub with oatmeal in a big dishcloth for bath timeā€¦it relieved the itching but to this day I canā€™t stomach oatmeal OR rice pudding, so I know how you feelā€¦

6 Likes

One week from first sign of a tickle in the throat: no more congestion build up. Just the gradual process of loosening it up. NyQuil and MUCINEX for congestion and coughing, turmeric tea, lemon and honey for keeping the throat lubricated. Made it through without losing my voice which is a hazard depending on my preaching cycle. And some good rest this week. And long hot showers morning and night to break it up and keep me hydrated.

7 Likes

I went through a very similar thing growing up. My sisterā€™s class was hit with a lice outbreak (passed along because everyoneā€™s Winter coats were hung up together). My mother got it from my sister, and she wanted to prevent my Dad, brother, and I from getting it. So to kill anything that was there already, we sat with Real Mayonnaise in our hair for four hours. To this day I canā€™t stand the smell of Mayonnaise, but I really like the taste. So as long as I donā€™t smell it, Iā€™m good.

10 Likes

Happy Birthday @julybighouse !

1 Like

Fortunately, flu doesnā€™t change that quickly. Specific variants tend to spread from Asia west, so scientists are always on the lookout for what strains to put in the vaccine before it arrives en masse.

1 Like

Well, I gave in and got the shot during my discharge from a week long stay at the hospital, Tuesday. Apparently, Iā€™d been in A-fib for the 3 weeks prior, but Iā€™m on the mend now.

7 Likes

Good luck! Iā€™m finally feeling up to doing the things I need to get done after 7 days!

2 Likes

Oh dearā€¦stay well!

1 Like