What will be your Glowforge's personal name?

Glowfinger…the ‘brand’ with the Midas touch.

Still working on it !
:upside_down:

9 Likes

probably glowbox. all of my personal computers and then the servers on our home network are some box derivative (blindbox, loftbox, gamebox, htpcbox, etc).

10 Likes

15 Likes

And beat me to the reference…

But I do prefer the “bigger, blacker box”.

4 Likes

I agonized over cutting into it to get the hidden card, but in the end I did.

The Bigger, Blacker Box is full now, though.
Might need to make an Even Bigger, Even Blacker box out of black acrylic with inset white acrylic letters… or maybe CAH will release a design for such a box in the Design Store. (@dan… hint hint, nudge nudge, say no more, know what I mean, eh?)

4 Likes

Another Destiny fan! I really want to make some replica weapons from the game, especially Nechrochasm

2 Likes

I was going to name my Glowforge Romeo…
As in "Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou, Romeo."
But as I was grilling tonight, it came to me…Charo!

10 Likes

I’m thinking of “kukata mwanga.” My brief sojourn in Tanzania years ago left me enthralled with the Swahili language and it’s very literal usage. For instance, their word for bird can also mean kite, or plane, or space shuttle. Pretty much anything that flies. Their name for a bull dozer translated, “Big machined used to move earth.” So, kukata mwange means “light that cuts,” or, “cutting light.” Keep trying to come up withs something more creative, but right now I’m running dry :smile:

10 Likes

Just rolls of the tongue, eh? :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I like the sound of Swahili (usually). It’s very rhythmic.

2 Likes

My son was in Kenya with the Peace Corps and has a tendency to name things in Kiswahili. His dog’s name is Juma, for example. He and his wife are having my first grandson in a few weeks. They’re keeping the name they’ve chosen secret…

3 Likes

A Balrog of Mordor?

2 Likes

That might not bode well :smile: on the other hand I did meet a lot of people with beautiful sounding names while I was there. And even if it is it can’t be worse than the English names people give their children now. I think the worst I’ve come across is Abcde (pronounced ab-sa-de) I understand the desire to be unique, my oldest is named Enoch after all, but at the same time these kids have to live there entire life with the names and spellings they are given.

6 Likes

MacGlowforge

3 Likes

I tell you, it was sad boxing up MakForgeJr and sending him on his way back to wherever MakerFaire Glowforges go. Perhaps to a new lucky PRU user!

11 Likes

Maybe they’ll keep him for use at the next Faire. I’m sure he’ll get lots of exercise. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

As long as they refrain from using a ! (Tongue click) it shouldn’t be too bad.

5 Likes

I think mine will be Glow Worm.

Or, The Exterminator.

3 Likes

Volundr, The Old Norse for Wayland the Smith, the weird and malicious craftsman. Mentioned in Beowulf, and some poems about Theoderic the Great

6 Likes

Oddjob

5 Likes