Whats the secret to organizing your Design Library

Are you using Windows OS? Or something from a Mac?

Jules I am on mac.

Ugh! That’s the downside to Macs…they don’t let users do much organizing. (They prefer to do it for you.) Sorry…you’d better stick with making copies in the GFUI.

So there is now way to change the thumb nail on the UI ,

Whatever you upload first is the Thumbnail correct , no way to change the order ?

1 Like

You can rename it, but no, the thumbnail will show what the original upload did. If you want a different picture, you can try what @deirdrebeth suggested going forward. But if your original files were modified in the UI, you can’t download those and reupload them.

1 Like

Yes, both are correct

1st upload = thumbnail
No way to change sort order (yet)

1 Like

I don’t know why I had the crazy idea that you could upload from your design program. :woman_facepalming: Good news is I did get the drag and drop to work, but with my workflow it doesn’t seem much different than finding the file through the GUI and uploading it. At least I’m no longer a moron for thinking you could drag and drop from a program. No wonder that never worked for me :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t use it often (unless it’s just a quick, simple design of something), but from Illustrator, you can copy and paste.

In fact, this may be the best way to iterate quickly in a lot of situations, if you’re into that kind of thing. Just make your changes in AI, select all and delete from the app, and paste your new design in.

3 Likes

Well damn it, I wasn’t imagining that after all and now I’m back to being really irritated I can’t get it to work from Corel. I had a file with dozens of pieces and I had to make several adjustments to one or two as I went. It got really old having to save another file and upload the new pieces.

I do not know what I would do without Irfanview as it shows the image of Svgs while the native system does not. It is very easy to drag and drop from its thumbnail viewer and arranged by age it is easy to see what the last case was. Inkscape also has an Autosave that does not work as Autocad (that saves everything forever) but it has saved me on many occasions.

1 Like

As a long time user of many operating systems, I struggle to think of any way in which a Mac prevents you from organizing your files. :boggle:

Someday they will fix the “bug” that thumbnails don’t reflect the current design and it will ruin your system. :-/

1 Like

You keep asking the same question over and over and I keep giving you the answer. I wonder if you’re missing my posts. I’ll try and make it stand out more…

The order is most-recently opened.

Maybe you could explain to the OP how to use the Mac OS he has to organize his files then? I don’t have it, and find it incomprehensible on iOS.

I’d be interested in learning it as well, for that matter.

2 Likes

that’s not what i see. mine is always in order of upload. opening a file doesn’t move it back to the top of the list for me. i wish it did.

5 Likes

I’m using the copy paste almost exclusively unless I’m sending a file to someone else. It’s super handy and I’m finding the most predictable.
(I don’t like to have unnecessary files cluttering things up and SVGs don’t show thumbnails in Adobe Bridge anyway)

1 Like

It’s literally no different than what you described on Windows. Files and folders.

macOS is not iOS.

1 Like

Didn’t know that…what does it use? (And @coalakida, this is apparently how you can do it.)

How do you access it in a Mac OS?

Renaming it moves it to the top of the list on my mac in the glowforge UI

huh. so it does. opening order doesn’t do anything for me, but this does. i normally rename mine when they’re at the top of the list, so i hadn’t really noticed this before.

1 Like