Whats the secret to organizing your Design Library

Very much the same way one would in Windows, double click a folder or invoke with command+f (it’s called Finder on Mac, equivalent to Windows Explorer, win+e)

1 Like

Thanks! That should be easy enough to follow.

Ok, Great - this thread got off track with the whole how to organize your FOLDERS , when it should be targeted on the GLOWFORGE UI . Naming Folders does move the folders to the top of the list.

Ok, Great - this thread got off track with the whole how to organize your FOLDERS , when it should be targeted on the GLOWFORGE UI . Naming items does move the Items to the top of the list.

Were you aware ?

it went off track because there’s no way in the GFUI to do anything, beyond that simple renaming it pushes it to the top trick. GF really needs to up their UI game here. it’s a bit pathetic.

Wait… You’re right! I wonder if it’s in order of most-recently cut? Because I know I’ve had things move up the line. At least in the past. Maybe things have changed.

Nope. I don’t think I’ve ever renamed anything. Ugh. What a horrible design. So every time you rename something it’ll move?! Geez!

it’s in upload order (unless you rename).

Yeah, no. I know that. But I’ve had things move in the past (without renaming as far as I know).

The UI needs an option for folders. Badly.

folders, keywords/metadata.

Why stop there? Let’s do a Dropbox type sync! Everything I save in a watched folder uploads and updates.

Or even an app integration with Dropbox. Is that allowed if permissions are granted?

I keep my files in Dropbox (actually now Drive, but same concept) so it does open there when I click “Upload” - not sure that’s what you meant, but…

I like this technique. I upload a new design 99% of the time, and rarely open something directly out of the UI. But doing this will tell me the design is final and ready to print, and maybe force me to clean up my library once and a while. Just have to remember to not change or delete anything.

As far as my local files, they are organized and saved to the cloud so I have access to them regardless which device I’m using. I have different folders for current projects, archived projects, ideas, resources, and documentation. This folder structure is replicated for my 3D printer files too. Each project has its own folder, and all the .ai and .svg files are inside. Works for me.

I was thinking more direct integration.

Local directory: LaserFiles

I create a new project in laser files, which uploads automatically, overwrites when it is resaved etc.

That directory/folder is synced and always available in the GF app, eliminating the need for manual uploading.

I started this thread and it turns out I knew the most, lolol you guys are killing me.
Thank you for all the effort , and I hope Glow Forge takes notice to how this thread is filling .

Just folders is all i need, that would be enough.
Thanks again.

1 Like

seriously, the files part of the UI is a mess. there are a lot of directions they could go to make it better. mostly because it’s a very low bar to claim improvement.

1 Like

Wow, the support from the community here is incredible. I really appreciate everybody who joined in the discussion!

@jules thanks for providing such detailed information about how you organize your files. That looks to be exactly right.

@coalakida it looks like you were put in the right direction – the users here are pretty amazing! I’m going to close this thread now since you’ve gotten the help you need, thanks everyone!

2 Likes