White Ribbon Cord Damage & Orange Magic Button

My machine stopped mid-print and the magic button is orange. I came to the forum to figure out why that could be when I discovered that this happens when there is damage to the ribbon cable. Upon further inspection, I discovered that my white ribbon cable was also damaged. Glowforge Support please help.

Oh no! The white ribbon cable is not user serviceable…can you shoot a picture of the damage to the white cable so that support can take a look at it?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

This type of damage is why I posted about potential White Ribbon Cable Damage a while back. Due to the way that the ribbon cable is routed/handled, this type of damage is inevitable.

@a_watkins1
That bites :frowning: Luckily the CS here is top notch and they will make sure to get you fixed up! Unless something major has changed you’re going to end up having to ship your machine back. Be aware that they are currently offering to ship you a refurbished machine quickly (~2 weeks) or you have the option of waiting for your specific machine to be repaired but there’s no general estimate of when that will get back to you. If you’re out of warranty the refurbs are a flat cost while the repair cost can vary wildly (I’ve seen ~$400-$2k). Something to think about.
Also if you have work you need to get done (deadlines) you’re going to want to find out if there is a rental laser in your area, or maybe other :glowforge: owners you can rent from.

It’s interesting, because my cable doesn’t fall the way yours does. Every once in a blue moon it’ll fall about 4" further to the right then your image - but never where yours does - and most of the time it stays up all on its own. I keep the bottom ribbon cleaned off for those few times it does fall. I wonder if it’s just luck or a manufacturing difference.

Oh no! I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag. I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.